Cheesy Miso Mushroom Rice
This Cheesy Miso Mushroom Rice recipe is the perfect hands-off alternative to risotto! It’s easy to make and packed with healthy ingredients like cremini mushrooms, miso paste, and brown rice. Gluten-free, vegetarian, comforting, and SO delicious.
If you love mushroom risotto but hate how hands-on the cooking process is, you are going to LOVE this recipe.
With risotto, you typically need to add broth to the rice in increments, and stir regularly through the whole process (up to 30 minutes)!
While it may be worth it, this miso mushroom rice recipe has a similar flavour profile but WAY less work. Once the rice and broth are in the pot, all you have to do is cover it and let it simmer until the liquid is absorbed 🙂
Not only is it easy, but this recipe is packed with so much umami flavour from the mushrooms, miso paste, veggie broth, and parmesan cheese. It’s nutrient-dense, delicious, and also great for batch cooking or meal prep.
This Recipe Is Only 10 Ingredients!
- Mushrooms – cremini, or other variety
- Brown rice
- Miso paste
- Parmesan, freshly grated – or vegan alternative
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
What Is Miso Paste?
Miso is a traditional Japanese seasoning that adds a delicious “umami” and salty flavour to dishes like soups, sauces, meats, and vegetables. It’s produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and “koji” (a type of fungus).
I love using miso paste in my cooking to pack in a ton of flavour! If you want to cook more with miso, be sure to check out some of these easy recipes:
- Creamy Vegan Miso Mushroom Soup
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- 5-Minute Miso Tahini Sauce
- Miso Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Miso Ramen Noodle Soup
- Tempeh Stir-Fry With Creamy Miso-Peanut Sauce
What To Serve With Mushroom Rice
Because this mushroom rice is a source of complex carbohydrates, veggies, and fibre, I would recommend balancing out this dish with a serving of your favourite protein!
Some delicious protein ideas to make with this mushroom rice:
- garlic shrimp with smoked paprika & honey (this is what I ate this dish with when I tested the recipe – SO good together!)
- crispy turmeric salmon
- honey lemon oven-baked salmon with thyme
- crispy baked tofu with maple miso sauce
- baked salmon with pistachio pesto
- runny eggs – fried, soft-boiled, or poached (as photographed)! Stir the yolk in the rice to make it extra creamy 🙂
How To Store & Reheat Leftovers
This recipe makes awesome leftovers that maintain their texture well when reheated!
Simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Miso Nutrition Benefits
Because miso paste is made by fermenting soybeans, it’s a natural source of beneficial gut microbes that appear to play a role in many aspects of human health.
Miso is also rich in micronutrients such as manganese, vitamin K, copper, and zinc.
Mushroom Nutrition Benefits
Mushrooms are a source of:
- multiple B-vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid with a 100-gram serving providing 20, 25, and 20% of your daily needs, respectively.
- B-vitamins play a critical role in transforming the food we eat into the energy that fuels every process in our body.
- minerals like selenium (15%DV), copper (15%DV), potassium (8%DV), and phosphorus (6%DV).
Something unique about mushrooms? They are actually one of the few non-fortified food sources of vitamin D!
Vitamin D plays a critical role in calcium absorption, helping to keep your bones healthy and strong.
Brown Rice Nutrition Benefits
Brown rice is:
- a fibre-rich whole grain, with 1 cup providing 3.5 grams (about 14% of your daily needs)
- an excellent source of B-vitamins, like thiamin, niacin, B6, and pantothenic acid
- a good source of minerals like manganese, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and iron
More Easy, Healthy Rice Recipes
- Creamy Coconut Corn Rice
- Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- Cheesy Butternut Squash Rice Bowl With Shrimp
- Sautéed Shrimp With Tomato Sauce, Feta & Rice
- Green Goddess Rice Bowl
Did you give this Cheesy Miso Mushroom Rice Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Cheesy Miso Mushroom Rice
- Bring a large saucepan, stockpot, or dutch oven to medium heat on the stovetop. Add olive oil and minced garlic, and sauté for 1-2 mins, until fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper and sauté for 5-7 mins, stirring frequently.
- Next, add brown rice, vegetable broth, and miso paste to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil, before covering and reducing heat. Let pot simmer (covered) for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Once ready, stir in parmesan cheese. Serve with your favourite protein and enjoy!