30-Minute Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta
This quick and easy canned mackerel pasta recipe is packed with heart-healthy fats, omega-3s, protein, and micronutrients! Delicious and ready in 30-minutes.
I couldn’t even tell you the number of times I’ve devoured this Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta in the last month – it’s so good!
Canned mackerel is a new staple in my pantry, and I’m so happy to have discovered it over the past few months. At first I was hesitant and not sure what to do with it, or how it would taste.
For some reason I thought mackerel would be really fishy, but it’s not at all! Canned mackerel that’s packed in olive oil is smooth, flavourful, and delicious.
So far, my favourite way to use canned mackerel is thrown into pasta. It’s so easy to just add the canned mackerel to a pan of sautéed veggies, mix in your fave pasta, and you’ve got a nutritionally-balanced meal in under 30 minutes.
This recipe has been my favourite flavour combination thus far, and I can’t wait to share it with you. It’s packed with nutritious ingredients like red peppers, tomatoes, olives, parsley, and olive oil – simple and delicious.
If you’ve never tried canned mackerel before, I hope this post gives you some inspiration to do so!
How To Make Canned Mackerel Pasta
To make this canned mackerel recipe, start by bringing a pot of water to a boil (for the pasta). While the water boils, mince the garlic cloves and chop the bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
Once the water has boiled, add the spaghetti and cook according to package directions.
Meanwhile, bring a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the canned mackerel to the pan, WITH the olive oil that it comes in. If you can’t find mackerel packed in olive oil, simply use some olive oil of your own here.
Sauté the minced garlic in the pan, along with the chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, or until the veggies are tender.
Once the pasta is cooked, remove from heat and drain. Add the drained pasta to the pan and cook with the veggies/mackerel for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped parsley.
Serve this canned mackerel pasta with some freshly grated parmesan, a sprinkle of red chilli flakes, and/or a squeeze of lemon juice (as desired). Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy hot!
Storage & Reheating Notes
Leftovers of this canned mackerel recipe can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It will reheat well in either the microwave or on the stovetop.
Possible Recipe Variations
Do note that this recipe can be easily adaptable to different dietary needs.
If you’re gluten-free, simply swap out regular spaghetti for a gluten-free alternative.
Dairy-free? Omit the sprinkle of parmesan on top and swap with nutritional yeast (or enjoy on it’s own).
Canned Mackerel Nutrition Benefits
Not only is canned mackerel flavourful, affordable, and convenient, it’s also jam-packed with nutrition!
Mackerel is an oily fish that is rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fatty acids, like omega-3s. In fact, mackerel has some of the highest omega-3 content of any fish.
Omega-3s play a crucial role in cardiovascular and neurological health, while also helping to lower inflammation throughout the body.
Mackerel is also a great source of complete protein and many micronutrients, including vitamins B12, B6, selenium, iron, and magnesium.
Nutrient-dense and delicious? Yes, please!
More Easy Canned Seafood Recipe Ideas
- 20-Minute Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Easy Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad
- Healthy Canned Salmon Potato Salad
- Canned Salmon Quinoa Burgers
- No-Mayo, High Protein Tuna Salad
Did you give this Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: 30-Minute Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta Recipe
- Approx. 150 grams spaghetti (~4 ounces. Enough for 2 people)
- Approx. 230 grams mackerel, in olive oil (~8 oz. including olive oil)
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper (or 2 medium-sized)
- 2 large handfuls grape or cherry tomatoes (vine-ripened if possible)
- Approx. 10 green olives, pitted
- 1 handful parsley
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Optional toppings: freshly grated parmigianno regianno, crushed red chilli peppers, freshly squeezed lemon
- Heat a pot of water to boil (for pasta).
- Mince garlic. Chop bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, and parsley. Set aside.
- Once water has boiled, add spaghetti and cook according to package directions.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add cans of mackerel, WITH the olive oil that comes in the can. Add garlic and sauté for a couple minutes.
- Next, add chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Sauté for approx. 10 minutes until veggies are tender, adding salt and pepper for taste.
- Once pasta is done, remove from heat and drain. Add drained pasta to the pan of veggies and cook for about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in chopped parsley.
- Serve pasta and top with freshly grated parm, a sprinkle of red chilli flakes, and/or a squeeze of lemon. Adjust salt/pepper as needed. Enjoy hot!