Chewy, Healthy Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)
These healthy breakfast cookies are soft, chewy, and so easy! Made with nutritious ingredients like oats, pumpkin, almond butter, nuts, and seeds – they’re such a delicious, healthy treat you can enjoy for breakfast or at any time of the day! Recipe is gluten-free, flour-free, and vegan.
Cookies for breakfast? You heard that right! These healthy pumpkin oatmeal breakfast cookies are full of good-for-you ingredients that pack in a nutritious punch.
As a dietitian, I’m always looking for breakfasts that contain a source of complex carbs, healthy fat, fibre, and protein to keep you full and energized to start your day. These breakfast cookies have all 4!
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free, to suit a variety of dietary needs and preferences.
Plus, it’s made without flour, bananas, or eggs – I have absolutely nothing against these ingredients, I just know that some of you are looking for breakfast cookie recipes without these 🙂
What Are Breakfast Cookies?
Breakfast cookies are essentially cookies that are full of nutritious ingredients and lower in sugar than regular cookies.
They’re often made with fibre-rich oats, dried fruit, and heart-healthy nuts or seeds. Think of them like oatmeal, but in a cookie form!
While “breakfast” is in their name, you can easily enjoy these healthy oatmeal cookies at any time of the day. I love them for an easy make-ahead snack, as they’re perfect for on-the-go or to keep on hand at home.
Breakfast Cookie Ingredients
To make these healthy breakfast cookies, all you need are these 9 simple ingredients:
- rolled oats
- pumpkin seeds
- dried cranberries
- canned pumpkin purée
- almond butter
- maple syrup
- pumpkin pie spice
How To Make Breakfast Cookies
These breakfast cookies are super easy to make, even if you’re not a pro at baking! I most certainly am not, and I can assure you that these are pretty simple 😉
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together (oats, nuts, seeds, cranberries, spices, and salt).
In a separate large bowl, mix the wet ingredients (pumpkin purée, almond butter, maple syrup).
Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring them until they stick together well.
Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into your hands and roll into balls. Place them on the baking sheet and press flat (these cookies will not flatten when you cook them). Depending on the size of your cookies, this recipe will make about 10-12.
Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 12-15 minutes. Remove and let them cool at least 15 minutes before eating!
While I love the flavour and ingredient combination of this recipe, the beauty of breakfast cookies is how versatile they are! Here are some ideas for how to swap ingredients:
- Use any nut or seed in place of pumpkin seeds and walnuts. Try pecans or sunflower seeds, for instance!
- You can swap the dried cranberries with raisins, or add in chocolate chips if you’re feeling like it.
- Almond butter can be swapped with another nut butter or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free version.
- While I have not personally tried this, you could try swapping the pumpkin purée with mashed banana or applesauce (for a similar consistency, but different taste).
How To Store Breakfast Cookies
If you’d like to make a large batch to freeze, you can do so for up to 3 months. Just be sure to thaw them before serving.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Honey Tahini Oatmeal Cookies
- No-Bake Trail Mix Granola Bars
- Nut-Free “PB&J” Oatmeal Cookies With Chia Jam
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- 5-Ingredient Chocolate Hazelnut Bliss Balls
- Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
Did you give these Chewy, Healthy Breakfast Cookies a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Chewy, Healthy Breakfast Cookies (Vegan)
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together until well-combined.
- Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients into one bowl, stirring them until they stick together well.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into your hands and roll into balls. Place them on the baking sheet and press flat (these cookies will not flatten when you cook them). Depending on the size of your cookies, this recipe will make about 10-12.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 12-15 minutes (they should be lightly browned when done). Remove and let them cool at least 15 minutes before eating. Enjoy!