Honey Lemon Oven-Baked Salmon With Thyme
This honey lemon oven-baked salmon with thyme is such an easy and delicious way to enjoy the many health benefits of salmon. Ready in under 30 minutes, this recipe is both gluten and dairy-free.
A couple months ago my boyfriend and I went to a friend’s house for dinner and he made the most delicious salmon seasoned with thyme! I’d never thought to add thyme to salmon before, but I just knew I had to recreate it.
This recipe kicks it up a notch with additional flavours like honey, lemon, and garlic. Salmon is topped with these simple ingredients, then baked in the oven for a delicious dish that comes together in under 30 minutes!
As a dietitian, salmon is one of my favourite sources of protein. It’s beyond easy to make, super versatile, and has tons of health benefits.
Let’s get cooking!
This Recipe Is Only 8 Ingredients!
All you need to make this easy baked salmon recipe are 8 simple ingredients, many of which I’m sure you already have in your pantry:
How To Bake Salmon Perfectly
Baking salmon in the oven is truly one of the quickest and easiest ways to prepare it!
After years of making salmon this way, I feel like I’ve nailed down a foolproof method to cook it perfectly every time. I like my salmon to be buttery soft – there’s nothing worse than dry, overcooked salmon in my eyes.
What temperature should you cook salmon at? 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 degrees Celsius)
How long should you cook salmon?
- For individual pieces of salmon: 10-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish
- For a whole fillet of fish: 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness
- Tip: aim for the shorter end of the time window and then check your salmon to see if it’s done by slicing into it. If it’s still very raw, you can throw it in for another minute or two.
Here’s exactly how I cook salmon in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash salmon fillets and pat them dry.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place salmon fillets on top, making sure to leave adequate space between them.
- Drizzle fillets with olive oil (approx. 1/2 to 1 tsp each fillet). Then, crack sea salt and pepper overtop. Here’s where you would add other seasonings too, depending on the recipe.
- Once oven is heated, place salmon in for 10-12 MINUTES ONLY.
- Remove from oven. Salmon should be cooked but still tender and moist.
How Long Can You Store Baked Salmon?
Cooked salmon will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can reheat salmon in the oven, stovetop, or microwave, although it will compromise the texture a little. Because of this, I often like eating any leftover salmon cold. Throw it into a salad or add it to a sandwich or wrap!
Salmon Nutrition Facts
Along with being delicious and versatile, there are so many incredible health benefits of eating salmon:
- it’s very high in protein – just 3 ounces provides 17 grams; a 6 ounce piece will give you 34 grams!
- it’s rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fatty acids, including omega-3s.
- omega-3s are known to support heart health, brain health, and to reduce inflammation overall
- it’s an excellent source of B vitamins like B12, B6, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.
- B vitamins act as coenzymes in many important metabolic processes throughout your body, such as turning the food we eat into energy!
What to Serve With Baked Salmon
To balance out this meal, I recommend serving this honey lemon oven-baked salmon (a source of protein) with a side of complex carbohydrates and/or veggies. Some of the dishes below involve roasting veggies too – you can add them to the oven along with the salmon for a really easy meal!
Healthy Starch Dishes:
- Quinoa: 3 Ways
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes With Chili & Paprika
- Roasted Potatoes With Za’atar & Lemon
- Easy Hasselback Potatoes With Parmesan, Rosemary & Lemon
Healthy Veggie Sides:
- Grilled Zucchini With Goat Cheese, Basil & Honey
- Garlic Sautéed Green Beans With Dijon Vinaigrette
- Balsamic Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus With Vegan Pecan Parm
- Juicy Oven-Roasted Radishes
- Roasted Broccolini & Kale With Honey
More Healthy Salmon Recipes
- Broccoli, Cauliflower & Salmon Salad With Curry Tahini
- Baked Harissa Salmon Over Lemon Quinoa
- Crispy Turmeric Salmon With Yogurt Sauce
- 25-Minute Baked Salmon With Pistachio Pesto
- Crispy Salmon With Coconut Honey & Lime
- Healthy Canned Salmon Potato Salad
- The Best Canned Salmon Burger
Did you give this Honey Lemon Oven-Baked Salmon With Thyme a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Honey Lemon Oven-Baked Salmon With Thyme
- 4 fillets of salmon (4-6 oz each)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp thyme, fresh (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 lemon
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, honey, and minced garlic. Evenly brush salmon fillets with this mixture and add salt + pepper.
- Slice lemon into thin half-moons and place on top of salmon. Sprinkle thyme on top.
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven and bake salmon for 10-12 minutes, depending on thickness. Remove and serve with a side of grain, greens, or salad!