This green goddess rice bowl is SO fresh and delicious! The green goddess dressing is vegan and made with avocado instead of traditional mayo or sour cream. Pair with shrimp or another protein for an easy, healthy dinner idea.
If you’re looking for an easy dinner idea that is fresh, healthy, and oh-so-delicious, you’ve come to the right place! This is easily one of my favourite recipes I’ve created as of late.
This rice bowl is made with the creamiest green goddess sauce, made with avocado instead of mayonnaise and sour cream. The avocado adds an extra boost of healthy fats and dietary fibre, plus it makes the sauce even more green than the original version ;).
This green goddess rice bowl is paired with shrimp, but can easily be made vegan by swapping with another protein. The recipe is also gluten-free to suit a variety of dietary needs. I hope you love it as much as I do!
What Is Green Goddess Dressing?
Green goddess is a popular salad dressing that is rich, creamy, and – you guessed it – green!
Typically, green goddess dressing is made with some variation of mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, chives, anchovies, tarragon, lemon juice, and pepper.
Vegan Green Goddess Dressing With Avocado
We’re making the original green goddess dressing even MORE green and adding some healthy swaps!
Instead of mayonnaise and sour cream, this recipe uses avocado to get the same creaminess, with way more nutrition. I’ve also left out the anchovies to make this dressing completely plant-based.
I promise, it still tastes SO delicious, super fresh, and incredibly satisfying.
Feel free to swap the brown rice in this recipe for another grain. This bowl would taste great with quinoa or farro, too!
For a vegan option, swap the shrimp for a plant-based protein like tofu. Remember – unlike regular green goddess dressing, this one is entirely plant-based!
Shop This Post
Lundberg Organic Brown Rice
Material Coated Pan
Cuisinart 4-Cup Food Processor
How To Store & Reheat
The leftovers of this recipe will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. It easily reheats on the stovetop (just be sure to stir continuously while it heats). Or, pop it in the microwave!
Avocado Nutrition Benefits
Avocados are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that make this rice bowl super creamy! They’re also an excellent source of dietary fibre, with one avocado providing 40% of your daily fibre needs.
In terms of micronutrients, avocados are a good source of vitamins C, B6, E, K, and folate as well as minerals like magnesium and potassium.
Brown Rice Nutrition Benefits
Brown rice is a whole grain with an excellent nutrition profile! It’s a great source of dietary fibre, with 1 cup providing 3.5 grams (about 14% of your daily needs).
It’s also an excellent source of B-vitamins, like thiamin, niacin, B6, and pantothenic acid. On the mineral side, brown rice is a good source of manganese, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and iron.
Shrimp Nutrition Benefits
This shellfish is an excellent source of protein. A standard 3-ounce or 85-gram serving provides 18 grams of high-quality, complete protein!
In addition, shrimp is also a source of micronutrients like selenium, B12, iron, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, magnesium, and iron. It’s even a good source of omega-3 fatty acids!
More Healthy Bowl Ideas
- Sautéed Shrimp With Tomato Sauce, Feta & Rice
- High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl
- Pesto Quinoa Bowl With Broccoli & Sweet Potato
- Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
- Easy Kimchi Quinoa Bowl
- Vegan Noodle Bowl With Spicy Peanut Sauce
Did you give this Green Goddess Rice Bowl With Shrimp a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Green Goddess Rice Bowl With Shrimp
- 1 cup brown rice, dry
- Approx. 32 shrimp, thawed, tails-off, deveined
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach
Vegan Green Goddess Dressing:
- 1 large avocado
- 1 cup parsley, packed
- 1/2 cup chives
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Cook brown rice by rinsing rice in a sieve and transferring to a large pot. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and let cook for about 25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and let steam for 10 minutes.
- Next, pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and toss in olive oil. Heat a pan to med-high and cook shrimp 2 mins each side. To ensure adequate space between each shrimp, you will likely have to do this in batches. Set cooked shrimp aside in a clean bowl.
- When the rice is ready, fold in baby spinach and stir in green goddess dressing until well-combined.
- Serve green goddess rice mixture and top with shrimp. Enjoy!
- Feel free to swap the brown rice in this recipe for another grain. This bowl would taste great with quinoa or farro, too!
- You can also try pairing the green goddess rice with another protein. Enjoy it as a side dish to some baked or crispy salmon, or some baked chicken.
- For a vegan option, swap the shrimp for a plant-based protein like tofu. Remember – unlike regular green goddess dressing, this one is entirely plant-based!