Easy Curry Tofu Scramble (Vegan)
This curry tofu scramble is made with spinach and red bell peppers. It’s a delicious combination of protein, veggies, and spices that is super easy to make, ready in 30 minutes, and full of healthy ingredients. Tofu scramble is also great for meal prep and can be used in so many different ways!
While I love a classic scrambled egg, sometimes I love switching things up and making a tofu scramble! It’s something I introduced to my boyfriend lately, and he’s been regularly making them for himself ever since.
Tofu scrambles are so easy to make, can take on so many flavours, and can be enjoyed in so many different ways and meals. Plus, it can even be made in advance and used as a meal prep component throughout the week.
You can definitely experiment with any spice combination here, but one of my favourite ways to flavour tofu scrambles are with curry spices!
As a dietitian, I always strive to share nutritionally-balanced meals like this one!
Want more easy tofu recipes? Check out my roundup of simple, healthy tofu recipes for more inspiration!
What Kind Of Tofu Is Best For Scrambles?
I recommend using firm or extra firm tofu to make tofu scrambles.
Soft or silken tofu won’t work in this recipe, as it simply won’t provide the correct shape or texture.
What To Serve Tofu Scramble With
There are countless ways to enjoy tofu scrambles!
You can use them in sandwiches or wraps, tacos or quesadillas, or simply served over an avocado toast like I’ve done here.
Or, treat them as you would scrambled eggs and make a breakfast plate paired with hash browns or roasted potatoes.
Tofu scrambles can really be enjoyed for any meal of the day – not just breakfast!
How To Make A Tofu Scramble
You want to start by squeezing as much liquid out of the tofu as possible.
Remove the tofu from it’s packaging, then wrap the block of tofu in paper towel. Place something heavy over the wrapped tofu, like a couple cookbooks or textbooks. Let it drain while you prepare the other ingredients, giving it a good squeeze in the towel before crumbling it.
To “crumble” the tofu, place the block of tofu in a large bowl. You can either break it apart with your hands or use a fork to mash and break it up. Either method works, but using a fork is less messy!
Next, heat a large pan over medium-high and add cooking oil. Sauté the sliced bell peppers and onions (if using) for about 7-10 minutes.
Then, add the crumbled tofu, curry powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the pan as well. Cook ingredients for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously to ensure that the spices spread throughout the tofu.
Finally, stir in the baby spinach and cook until it wilts. Taste tofu and adjust seasonings as desired. And that’s it! Your tofu scramble is now ready to serve.
Storage + Reheating Notes
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can reheat this curry tofu scramble on the stovetop (simply heat up a frying pan, add a little oil, and cook until hot). Or, you could reheat it in the microwave if you’re in a pinch.
Tofu Nutrition Facts
Tofu is a form of condensed soy milk that is pressed into solid blocks.
It’s a great source of plant-based protein, with a 3.5 ounce or 100 gram serving of tofu providing 8 grams of complete protein.
For reference, a block of tofu is typically around 350 grams and will provide a total of about 28 grams of protein.
In addition to protein, tofu is a great source of essential micronutrients, like:
While there is controversy around soy, the majority of studies suggest that soy is actually linked to improved cholesterol levels, heart health, fertility, and reduced cancer risk.
These health benefits are likely due to the presence of beneficial plant compounds called isoflavones. Most concerns about soy are not supported by currently clinical and epidemiological research.
More Easy Tofu Recipes
- Healthy Vegan Tofu Coconut Curry With Vegetables
- Crispy Tofu Salad With Miso-Sesame Tahini Dressing
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- Vegan Noodle Bowl With Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Tofu Tomato Pasta With Vegetables
- Tofu Smoothie With Banana & Vanilla
Did you give this Easy Curry Tofu Scramble Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Easy Curry Tofu Scramble
- Start by squeezing as much liquid out of the tofu as possible. Remove the tofu from it's packaging, then wrap the block of tofu in paper towel. Place something heavy over the wrapped tofu, like a couple cookbooks or textbooks. Let it drain while you prepare the other ingredients, giving it a good squeeze with your hands before crumbling it.
- To "crumble" the tofu, place the block of tofu in a large bowl. You can either break it apart with your hands or use a fork to mash and break it up. Set aside.
- Next, heat a large pan over medium-high and add cooking oil. Sauté the sliced bell peppers and onions (if using) for about 7-10 minutes.
- Once the peppers have cooked, add the crumbled tofu, curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pan as well. Cook ingredients for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously to ensure that the spices spread through the tofu.
- Finally, stir in the baby spinach and cook until it wilts. Taste tofu and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve hot!
As a dietitian, I create recipes with whole food ingredients that provide the nutrients needed for optimal health. My nutrition philosophy does not focus on numbers; however, I understand that this information can be helpful.
Do note that the nutrition info provided is an estimate and I cannot guarantee correctness of the displayed values. These numbers will differ depending on brands used, recipe modifications, and amount eaten. If you require specific nutrition information due to medical reasons, please consult with your dietitian or physician.