Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Rice (Stovetop Recipe)
This cheesy broccoli rice recipe is made with a vegan cheesy cashew cream sauce! It’s healthy, so easy to make, and a super delicious side to your favourite protein. Recipe is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Cheesy broccoli rice is one of those comfort foods that many of us know and love! This recipe puts a healthier spin on the classic and offers a version that can be enjoyed by both vegans and dairy-lovers alike.
This broccoli cheese rice is super easy to make and uses only 10 simple, healthy ingredients – many of which you may already have in your pantry.
Instead of a traditional cheese sauce, this one is made by blending cashews with nutritional yeast and a variety of seasonings. It’s so creamy and seriously delicious!
Even better? This recipe is great for making in advance and makes perfect leftovers. Add it to your weekly meal prep and pair it with your favourite protein. Dinner is done!
This cheesy broccoli and rice recipe is only 10 simple, healthy ingredients (plus salt + pepper):
- brown rice
- broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- vegetable broth
- raw cashews
- nutritional yeast
- smoked paprika
- almond milk
- apple cider OR white wine vinegar
How To Make Cheesy Broccoli Rice
To make this recipe, start by cooking the brown rice with the vegetable broth according to package directions.
While the rice cooks, chop broccoli florets into small, bite-sized pieces. Add the broccoli to the cooking rice in its last 10 minutes of cooking. Cover and allow the broccoli to cook with the rice.
Meanwhile, make the cashew cream cheese sauce. Place all sauce ingredients into a high-speed blender (I use this Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
When the rice has finished cooking, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese sauce. Toss everything until well combined and serve immediately!
*NOTE: before making this recipe, you need to soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or overnight. I find it easiest to just throw them into a jar, cover with water, and place in the fridge the night before I plan on making a recipe (otherwise, I’m likely to forget to do this).
What To Serve With This Recipe
This cheesy broccoli rice is a source of complex carbohydrates, fibre-rich veggies, and healthy fats. To balance out the meal, serve it with your favourite protein source, such as:
My personal favourite? I’ve paired this recipe with these Garlic Paprika & Honey Shrimp about 3 times and LOVE the combination so much! Highly recommend if you eat seafood 😉
How To Store & Reheat Recipe
This recipe makes awesome leftovers that maintain their texture well when reheated! Simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Broccoli Nutrition Benefits
This green cruciferous vegetable is a great source of:
- Micronutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, folate, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and magnesium
- Broccoli is one of the best sources of Vitamin C out there – just one cup provides 135% of your daily vitamin C needs
- Dietary fibre – one cup provides 2.3 grams of fibre, which is 9% of your daily fibre needs
- Fibre is known to help with digestion, heart health, blood sugar control, and weight management.
- Beneficial plant compounds (like sulforaphane) and antioxidants (like carotenoids)
Brown Rice Nutrition Benefits
Brown rice is:
- a fibre-rich whole grain, with 1 cup providing 3.5 grams (about 14% of your daily needs)
- an excellent source of B-vitamins, like thiamin, niacin, B6, and pantothenic acid
- a good source of minerals like manganese, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and iron
More Easy, Healthy Rice Recipes
- Creamy Coconut Corn Rice
- Cheesy Butternut Squash Rice Bowl
- Green Goddess Rice Bowl
- Cheesy Miso Mushroom Rice
- Sautéed Shrimp With Tomato Sauce, Feta & Rice
Did you give this Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Rice Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Rice (Stovetop Recipe)
- *NOTE: before making this recipe, you'll need to soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or overnight. I find it easiest to just throw them into a jar, cover with water, and place in the fridge the night before I plan on making a recipe (otherwise, I’m likely to forget to do this).
- Start by cooking the brown rice with the vegetable broth according to package directions. *NOTE: The brown rice I used requires 1 + 3/4 cup of liquid per 1 cup of rice, but please consult the specific type of rice you're using for exact measurements and cooking time!
- While the rice cooks, chop broccoli florets into small, bite-sized pieces. Add the broccoli to the pot with rice in the last 10 minutes of cooking for the rice (e.g. the 30 minute mark). Stir, cover, and allow the broccoli to cook with the rice.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream cheese sauce. Place all sauce ingredients into a high-speed blender (I use this Vitamix) and blend until smooth.
- When the rice has finished cooking, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese sauce. Toss everything until well combined and serve immediately!
As a dietitian, I create recipes with whole food ingredients that provide the nutrients needed for optimal health. My nutrition philosophy does not focus on numbers; however, I understand that this information can be helpful.
Do note that the nutrition info provided is an estimate and I cannot guarantee correctness of the displayed values. These numbers will differ depending on brands used, recipe modifications, and amount eaten. If you require specific nutrition information due to medical reasons, please consult with your dietitian or physician.