Lemon Blueberry Avocado Smoothie
This lemon blueberry avocado smoothie is such a delicious, easy, and filling breakfast idea! Touches of lemon zest, vanilla, and cinnamon add so much incredible flavour, while avocado and yogurt make the texture super creamy. Recipe is gluten-free, naturally sweetened only with fruit, and can be made vegan if needed.
- 1 lemon (zest from whole, juice from half)
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened (or other plant-based milk)
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup avocado chunks, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: unflavoured or vanilla protein powder or collagen powder
- Ice, until desired temperature reached (if not using frozen ingredients)
*LEFTOVERS (FRIDGE): If your mornings are a rush, rest assured that you can make a smoothie the night before! This smoothie will keep for about 1-2 days in the fridge. Simply pour it into a jar with a lid and refrigerate. Separation is normal – just give the jar a good shake before drinking.
*LEFTOVERS (FREEZER): If you'd like to freeze this smoothie, you can do this by pouring any extra smoothie into silicone ice cube trays or muffin tins and placing them in the freezer. Once frozen, you can pop out the smoothie “cubes” and store them in a freezer-safe bag. Just thaw them for a few hours or the night before you want the smoothie.
*RECIPE MODIFICATIONS: While this smoothie tastes AMAZING as is, here are some ways you can switch up the ingredients to meet your needs:
- Instead of almond milk, you can use any milk or milk alternatives that you like. Just aim for an unsweetened one, if possible.
- If you want to increase the protein content of this smoothie, feel free to add a scoop of your favourite protein powder. An unflavoured or vanilla version would work best.
- You can swap the greek yogurt with a vegan alternative if needed. Do note that this will likely lower the protein content though!
- Instead of chia seeds, you can use other seeds like hemp, pumpkin, or flax.
- While it may change the colour of this smoothie, feel free to add a handful of spinach for some extra greens. Spinach has a super neutral flavour and won’t alter the flavour profile too much!