If summer was a flavour, this salad would be it! This summer salad is made with corn, strawberries, avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, and basil. Easy, healthy, and SO refreshing!
This post was originally published on 08.09.2019. It’s been updated with helpful content + fresh images on 07.20.2020.
This summer salad is LOADED with fresh fruits and veggies like corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, and strawberries! Since most of the ingredients are seasonal (and ideally locally-grown), everything just bursts with so much flavour and nutritious goodness.
It’s not only tasty and healthy, but it’s so easy to make. This summer salad is perfect for your next summer BBQ, picnic, or any day you need something delicious and refreshing!
Curious to learn more? In this post we’ll cover:
- The health benefits of the ingredients in this summer salad
- How to make this summer salad
- How to store it + for how long
- Some ideas for what to serve or pair this salad with
- More healthy summer salad recipes for you to try
I hope you love this one as much as I do.
Salad Ingredients + Health Benefits
The whole food ingredients in this summer salad all provide a ton of nutrition. Check out some of their health benefits below!
- Micronutrients like folate, B6, niacin + potassium
- Antioxidants, like lutein + zeaxanthin
- Dietary fibre – 1 cup provides almost 5 grams
- Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant + plays a key role in skin health. 1 cup provides 140% of your daily needs!
- Potassium, vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus + magnesium
- Dietary fibre – 1 cup provides 3 grams
- Vitamin C, potassium, folate + vitamin K
- Dietary fibre – 1 cup provides 2 grams
- Antioxidants, like lycopene + beta-carotene
- Heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids + dietary fibre. Half an avocado contains 6.5 grams or 26% of your daily fibre needs!
- Vitamin C, B6, K, E, folate, magnesium + potassium
- Micronutrients, like vitamin K, C, potassium, manganese + magnesium
- 96% water – super hydrating!
- Dietary fibre + antioxidants
- Micronutrients, like calcium, magnesium, selenium, zinc, and vitamins B12, B6 + A
- Complete protein
How To Make This Summer Salad
This summer salad is BEYOND easy to make! The only cooking involved is steaming the corn – the rest is simply chopping up ingredients.
To steam the corn, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, you can either add the ear of corn straight into the water or place it in a steamer basket. Cover with a lid and let steam for 5 minutes.
While the corn steams, chop up all the other ingredients! This includes strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado. Crumble some feta and chop up fresh basil. Set everything aside.
Once the corn is done, remove from water and allow to cool for a few minutes (until it’s comfortable to touch). Using a large knife, place the corn upright and slice the kernels off into a bowl.
In a large salad bowl, add the kernels of corn, sliced strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado chunks. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, chopped basil, olive oil, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss everything to combine.
You can enjoy this salad immediately, or place it in the fridge to allow it to cool!
Summer Salad Storage Notes
While best enjoyed the day of, leftovers of this salad will stay fresh for about 1 day. Store in an airtight container in the fridge!
If making in advance, add the avocado, lemon juice, and olive oil immediately before serving (to prevent any sogginess)
What To Pair This Salad With
This summer salad is the perfect accompaniment to your favourite protein! Some ideas:
- Crispy Salmon With Coconut Honey & Lime
- Baked Salmon With Pistachio Pesto
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
It would also pair so well with a yummy pasta, such as:
- Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Cashew Cream Pasta
- Pan-Seared Scallops & Zucchini Noodle Pasta
The pairing opportunities are endless 🙂
More Healthy Summer Salad Recipes
- Watermelon Feta & Arugula Salad
- Roasted Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad With Shrimp
- Asian-Inspired Cold Soba Noodle Salad
- Strawberry Quinoa Tabbouleh With Feta
- Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
- Strawberry Tomato & Avocado Salad
Did you give this Summer Salad With Corn, Strawberries & Avocado a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Summer Salad with Corn, Strawberries & Avocado
- 1 ear of corn, husks removed
- 1 long English cucumber, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (vine-ripened if possible!)
- 1/2 an avocado, cubed
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 a lemon, juice only
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
- To steam the corn, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, you can either add the ear of corn straight into the water or place it in a steamer basket. Cover with a lid and let steam for 5 minutes.
- While the corn steams, chop up all other ingredients! This includes the strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado. Crumble the feta, chop the fresh basil, and set aside.
- Once the corn is done, remove from water and allow to cool for a few minutes (until it's comfortable to touch). Using a large knife, place the corn upright and slice the kernels off into a bowl.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kernels of corn, sliced strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado chunks. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, chopped basil, olive oil, freshly-squeezed lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss everything to combine.
- You can enjoy this salad immediately, or place it in the fridge for 30 mins to allow it to cool!