Spanakopita Frittata With Spinach & Feta
This Spanakopita Frittata is made with spinach, feta, and tons of fresh herbs. It’s great for meal prep and can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner! Recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, and ready in 30-minutes.
Frittatas are one of my go-to easy meals and I love experimenting with different ingredient and flavour combinations. This spanakopita frittata takes inspiration from one of my favourite treats – spanakopitas!
If you’re familiar with these Greek pastries, you know just how good spanakopitas are. They’re typically filled with spinach, feta cheese, and tons of fresh herbs. While this frittata unfortunately isn’t surrounded by phyllo pastry…it DOES has a similar filling :).
This spanakopita frittata is made with spinach, fresh herbs (like parsley, dill, and green onion), feta cheese, and – of course – protein-packed eggs. It’s delicious, healthy, and ready in 30-minutes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What Is A Frittata?
A frittata is an egg-based dish that is most similar to a quiche, but without a crust.
It’s one of my go-to easy meals because of how versatile they are to make. You can completely customize the ingredients based on what you have on hand – any veggie, herb, cheese, spice, meat, etc. can work. It’s an AWESOME way to clean out your fridge and reduce food waste!
Frittatas can truly be enjoyed for any meal – they’re great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even a weekend brunch. Because they store and reheat well, they’re also a great option to include in your weekly meal prep.
How To Cook Frittata
To make this spanakopita frittata, start by preheating your oven to a broil.
Then, chop up all the fresh herbs, including the spring onion, dill, and parsley, as well as the garlic. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
Next, heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is brown and fragrant, then add in the baby spinach.
Continue to cook the spinach until it has started to wilt. Then, add in all the chopped herbs, stirring frequently.
Make sure the spinach and herbs are evenly distributed throughout the pan. Then, pour the whisked eggs over all the greens and evenly sprinkle the crumbled feta overtop of the eggs. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
After 8 minutes are up, transfer the skillet into the oven under the broiler. Continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes in the oven, or until slightly browned and puffed up.
Remove the frittata from the oven and allow to cool/deflate for a couple minutes before cutting into 4 servings. Enjoy immediately or store leftovers for later!
If you’re not feeling up to turning on the oven (we’ve all been there!) you can also cook this frittata on the stovetop. All you’ll need is a skillet with a lid.
Follow the recipe as above. Once you’ve added the eggs and feta to the pan, cover it and allow to cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the frittata has puffed up. Remove from heat, and allow to cool and deflate.
This stovetop frittata is still delicious! The only difference is that it won’t be browned and slightly crisped on the top.
Storage & Reheating Notes
This spanakopita frittata will store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. For longer storage, you can keep the frittata in the freezer for about 4 months.
You can easily reheat this frittata in either the microwave or the oven.
What To Serve Frittata With
This spanakopita frittata can be enjoyed on its own, or it can be paired with a side of fibre-rich carbohydrates to balance out the meal. Some of my favourite sides are roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, toast, or a serving of whole grains.
More Easy Egg Recipes
- Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Easy, Avocado Boiled Egg Salad Sandwich
- Sweet Potato Hash With Red Pepper & Kale
- Easy Chopped Quinoa Salad With Eggs
- High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl With Fried Egg
Did you give this Spanakopita Frittata With Spinach & Feta a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Spanakopita Frittata With Spinach & Feta
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (+more for serving)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup spring onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to a broil.
- Chop up all the fresh herbs, including the spring onion, dill, and parsley. Mince garlic and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with water, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil and minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is brown and fragrant.
- Add baby spinach to the skillet and continue to cook until it has started to wilt. Then, add in all the chopped herbs, stirring and cooking for 1 minute.
- Make sure the spinach and herbs are evenly distributed throughout the pan. Pour the whisked eggs over all the greens.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumbled feta overtop of the eggs and cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- After 8 minutes are up, transfer the skillet into the oven under the broiler. Continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes in the oven, or until slightly browned and puffed up.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and allow to cool/deflate for a couple minutes before cutting into 4 pieces. Enjoy immediately or store leftovers for later!