Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
This healthy Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl is made with simple ingredients like quinoa, avocado, cilantro, and lime. It’s so refreshing and FULL of flavour!
A taco salad is such an easy, yet filling meal that combines refreshing and healthy salad ingredients with delicious taco flavours.
While I love me some tacos, having those same flavours in a salad format makes for a slightly more veggie-heavy and convenient meal.
I don’t know about you, but I find tacos kind of difficult to pack to work and messy to eat at your desk! This Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl, on the other hand, could totally be made ahead and brought to go.
Shrimp Taco Salad Ingredients
Whether you enjoy this taco salad at work or at home, I guarantee you will love how easy, healthy, and flavourful it is!
It’s packed with lots of veggies, including romaine lettuce, bell peppers, and tomatoes, along with healthy fats (avocado), and complex carbs (quinoa).
For protein, we’ve got pan-fried shrimp that’s been coated in taco seasoning – SO good!
To keep with the taco theme, this shrimp taco salad is then topped with cilantro, lime, and salsa.
Feel free to also add a scoop of plain Greek yogurt if you don’t need a dairy-free recipe. Plain Greek yogurt is an awesome swap for sour cream!
While you can make taco seasoning and salsa on your own (google has lots of recipes), store-bought versions are also a good (and quicker) option. Be sure to look for ones with simple, whole food ingredients.
For this recipe, I personally used the taco seasoning and mild salsa from a company called Fody Foods! If you’re interested in their products, feel free to use the discount code “walderwinter15” for 15% off at checkout 🙂
Recipe Nutrition Benefits
Curious about some of the nutrition and health benefits of this particular recipe? The whole food ingredients are packed with nutrients, such as:
- an excellent source of protein, shrimp contains 18 grams of protein in a standard 3-ounce or 85-gram serving.
- a source of micronutrients like selenium, B12, iron, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, magnesium, and iodine
- a source of omega-3 fatty acids
- an excellent source of beta carotene (which converts to vitamin A), with a 100-gram serving providing 174% of your daily vitamin A needs
- a good source of micronutrients like vitamin C, K, B6, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium
- full of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K
- a great source of antioxidants like lycopene and beta-carotene
- one of THE best sources of vitamin C, just one bell pepper provides 180% of your daily needs
- along with vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant, bell peppers are also a great source of carotenoids
- rich in nutrients, like complex carbohydrates, fibre, and even protein (containing all 9 essential amino acids)
- a great source of micronutrients too, including magnesium, iron, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, folate, and copper
- rich in monounsaturated fats and fibre, making it incredibly heart healthy
- a good source of micronutrients like vitamin C, B6, K, E, magnesium, potassium, and folate
More Healthy Shrimp Recipes
- Garlic Shrimp With Smoked Paprika & Honey
- Cheesy Butternut Squash Rice With Shrimp
- Sautéed Shrimp With Tomato Sauce, Rice & Feta
- Green Goddess Rice Bowl With Shrimp
- Sweet Potato “Fettuccine” With Veggies & Shrimp
- Basil Walnut Pesto Linguine With Shrimp
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad With Shrimp
- Pasta With Veggies, Zoodles & Garlic Shrimp
Did you give this Shrimp Taco Salad Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (which is 1/3 cup dry)
- Approx. 20 large shrimp, fresh or thawed (peeled, de-veined, tails removed)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (plus more for serving)
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning (plus more for serving)
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, sliced (red, orange, or yellow)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp salsa
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 2 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- Begin by cooking quinoa. Measure 1/3 cup dry quinoa and rinse in a sieve. Add quinoa to a large pot with 2/3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat when done.
- Meanwhile, toss shrimp in olive oil and taco seasoning until well-coated. Allow to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop romaine lettuce and cilantro. Slice bell peppers and avocado. Halve cherry tomatoes and lime. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan to medium-high. Add shrimp to pan, cooking for 1-2 minutes on each side, until opaque and slightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble taco bowls by dividing all ingredients in half. Start with the romaine lettuce as a base. Add 1/2 cup quinoa to each bowl, along with 1/2 the cooked shrimp, peppers, tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
- Before serving/eating, add 2 Tbsps of salsa to each bowl, along with freshly squeezed lime, and optional greek yogurt. Toss well, and season with salt, extra taco seasoning, and an extra drizzle of olive oil (as desired). Enjoy!