Savoury Kimchi Oatmeal With Avocado & Egg
This savoury kimchi oatmeal is a delicious vegetarian meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s easy, healthy, and ready in under 25-minutes!
Have you tried savoury oatmeal before?! While I often go for more traditional sweet oatmeals, I LOVE switching it up with this savoury version! It’s so flavourful and truly can be enjoyed for any meal of the day.
In this recipe, rolled oats take the place of other whole grains, with the added benefit of a significantly faster cooking time! The oats are cooked in vegetable broth, then topped with sautéed broccolini (for greens), a poached egg (for protein), avocado (for healthy fats), and kimchi (for tons of flavour).
You can modify this recipe as needed, swapping the broccolini with another green, like sautéed spinach, kale, or zucchini. The egg can be poached, fried, or soft/medium-boiled.
If you’re looking to switch up your regular oatmeal, why not give this savoury kimchi oatmeal a try? It’s nutritious, delicious, and ready in under 25-minutes!
How To Cook Savoury Oatmeal
Start by having all your ingredients prepped and ready to go, as the ingredients will all be cooked at the same time.
At the same time, heat a skillet over medium with olive oil. Sauté veggies of choice (e.g. broccoli, spinach, kale, or zucchini), until tender.
While the oats and veggies cook, you’ll also want to cook the egg. You may choose to prepare the egg however you want, but I highly recommend having a runny yolk (e.g. poached, fried, soft-boiled) for extra creaminess. I have an in-depth blog post all about how to poach an egg if you’re in need of some tips!
Once all ingredients are done, serve the oatmeal in a bowl. Top with sautéed veggies, the cooked egg, avocado slices, and a serving of kimchi. Stir everything together and enjoy immediately.
Shop This Post
Make Ahead Option
This savoury kimchi oatmeal can be made ahead in large batches as part of your weekly meal prep! To do so, simply cook the oats and sauté vegetables as desired. Keep the ingredients separate until ready to serve. They’ll keep for 3-4 days.
Reheat the oats and veggies on the stove or in the microwave, before adding kimchi, avocado, and a runny egg.
Kimchi Nutrition Benefits
Kimch is rich in good-for-the-gut probiotic bacteria, which is added to the cabbage in order to ferment it. When you eat kimchi, you thus directly ingest that good bacteria. Promoting a healthy and diverse gut microbiome may improve many aspects of our health.
In addition to the gut health benefits, kimchi is made with vegetables that are a good source of fibre, different micronutrients, and various phytochemicals/antioxidants. A review on kimchi shows that it may have a positive effect on our skin, brain, heart, digestive, and immune health.
Rolled Oats Nutrition Benefits
Rolled oats are a type of whole grain that is rich in soluble fibre. Soluble fibre is known to help slow digestion, increase fullness/satiety, lower cholesterol, and improve blood sugar control.
Oats are also a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, like B vitamins, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and folate.
If you want to learn more about the different types of oatmeal, it’s nutrition benefits, and my favourite brands of oatmeal to purchase, be sure to check out this post all about oatmeal!
More Healthy Bowl Recipes
- Easy Kimchi Quinoa Bowl
- High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl
- Pesto Quinoa Bowl With Broccoli & Sweet Potato
- Vegan Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Vegan Chocolate Orange Oatmeal
Did you give this Savoury Kimchi Oatmeal With Avocado & Egg a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Savoury Kimchi Oatmeal With Avocado & Egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup vegetable broth (+extra if needed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 serving vegetable of choice: broccolini, spinach, kale, etc.
- 2 Tbsp kimchi (use vegan kimchi if needed)
- 1/4-1/2 an avocado, sliced
- Black pepper, to taste
- Optional: pumpkin or hemp seeds to sprinkle on top
- At the same time, heat a skillet over medium with olive oil. Sauté veggies of choice (e.g. broccolini, spinach, kale, or zucchini) for ~7 minutes, until tender.
- While the oats and veggies cook, you'll also want to cook the egg. You may choose to prepare the egg however you want, but I highly recommend having a runny yolk (e.g. poached, fried, soft-boiled). I have an in-depth blog post all about how to poach an egg if you're in need of some tips!
- Once all ingredients are done, serve the oatmeal in a bowl. Top with sautéed veggies, the cooked egg, avocado slices, kimchi, and black pepper. Stir everything together and enjoy immediately.