Easy Roasted Zucchini With Parmesan & Basil
This healthy Roasted Zucchini With Parmesan & Basil is an easy vegetable side dish, ready in a quick 30-minutes. Perfect for weeknight dinners!
My mom has always told me that zucchini was my favourite vegetable as a kid, so it’s no wonder it’s still high on my list today! While I’m no longer having it pureed (lol), I love how versatile zucchini is to so many different cooking techniques.
One of my favourite ways to have it? Roasted, of course! This Easy Roasted Zucchini With Parmesan & Basil is a simple 30-minute side dish, made with just 7 ingredients.
As with other vegetables, roasting zucchini brings out so much of its natural sweetness.
That sweetness – paired with freshly grated parmesan (which gets both melty and crispy), garlic, and tons of basil – makes for an incredibly delicious vegetable side dish, one even picky eaters might enjoy!
All you need to make this easy zucchini recipe are 7 simple, healthy ingredients:
- zucchini (can be green or yellow)
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- dried basil
- parmigiano-reggiano, freshly grated (parmesan)
- fresh basil
How To Make Roasted Zucchini
This zucchini side dish is super quick to make, with a prep time of only 10 minutes. Then, it needs about 20 minutes in the oven, which allows you some time to get the rest of your dinner ready.
To make the recipe, simply cut zucchini in half, then into quarters.
Then, toss the sliced zucchini in a large bowl with olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, and salt until evenly coated.
Then, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano* overtop and pop the zucchini in the oven for 20 minutes.
*Note: Parmigiano-Reggiano is not the same as many of the pre-grated parmesan cheeses you may find in North American grocery stores. While it may be slightly more expensive, the difference in taste isn’t even comparable! I promise it’s worth it :).
When done, the zucchini will be tender and the cheese will be melted and browned.
Serve the zucchini on a plate and top with fresh basil (and maybe a bit more cheese if you feel like it)!
What To Pair With Roasted Zucchini
As zucchini is a non-starchy vegetable, I recommend pairing this roasted zucchini with a protein and a starch to make a nutritionally-balanced meal. Check out some ideas below!
Protein pairing ideas:
- Garlic Shrimp With Smoked Paprika & Honey
- Crispy Turmeric Salmon
- Oven Baked Salmon With Honey, Lemon & Thyme
- Crispy Salmon With Coconut Honey & Lime
- Easy Curry Tofu Scramble
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- 25-Minute Baked Salmon With Pistachio Pesto
Starch pairing ideas:
- Quinoa: 3 Ways
- How to Cook Farro
- Roasted Potatoes With Chili & Paprika
- Easy Hasselback Potatoes with Parmesan & Rosemary
- Miso Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes With Hemp Seed Pesto
How To Store Leftover Zucchini
While best enjoyed hot, these zucchini can be enjoyed as cold leftovers as well. Leftover roasted zucchini can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Something I love doing with these leftovers? Repurposing them into other meals. You can chop up the leftover zucchini and throw it into something easy like a vegetable pasta, pasta salad, a frittata, or add them to a frozen pizza!
Zucchini Nutrition Benefits
This summer squash is rich in many micronutrients, including:
- vitamin A
- vitamin C
- vitamin K
- vitamin B6
Zucchini is also a source of dietary fibre, with one medium zucchini providing 2 grams or 8% of your daily fibre needs. Dietary fibre is known to promote gut health, heart health, and satiety.
Like other fruits and veggies, zucchini is also a great source of antioxidants, especially carotenoids like lutein and zeaxanthin, which are known to help keep your eyes healthy.
More Healthy Vegetable Side Dish Ideas
- Grilled Zucchini With Goat Cheese, Basil & Honey
- Healthy Zucchini Squash Casserole
- Balsamic Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus With Pecan Parmesan
- Juicy Oven-Roasted Radishes
- Curry-Roasted Cauliflower With Minty Yogurt Sauce
Did you give this Roasted Zucchini With Parmesan & Basil Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Easy Roasted Zucchini With Parmesan & Basil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry zucchini. Remove ends, and then slice zucchini in half. Next, take those halves and slice into quarters, so that you have roughly 3-inch strips of zucchini. Place the zucchini in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the zucchini with olive oil, garlic powder, dried basil, and salt. Toss zucchini with a spoon until evenly coated with ingredients.
- Spread the zucchini on the lined baking sheet, making sure to leave a bit of space between pieces. Sprinkle the zucchini with freshly grated Parmigiano-Regianno (parmesan).
- Place zucchini in the oven for about 20-minutes. When done, zucchini should be fork-tender and the cheese should be melted and browned. Remove from heat and let cool for ~5 minutes.
- Plate zucchini and top with freshly chopped basil, and extra cheese and seasonings (as desired). Pair with your favourite protein and enjoy!
As a dietitian, I create recipes with whole food ingredients that provide the nutrients needed for optimal health. My nutrition philosophy does not focus on numbers; however, I understand that this information can be helpful.
Do note that the nutrition info provided is an estimate and I cannot guarantee correctness of the displayed values. These numbers will differ depending on brands used, recipe modifications, and amount eaten. If you require specific nutrition information due to medical reasons, please consult with your dietitian or physician.