Roasted Asparagus With Pecan Parmesan Seasoning
It couldn’t be easier to make perfectly roasted and tender asparagus with this healthy 6-ingredient recipe. Nutrient-packed asparagus is seasoned with a cheesy vegan pecan parmesan made with nutritional yeast!
I love having asparagus as a side dish, and my absolute favourite way to prepare it is by roasting it. It’s nutritious, simple to make, and pairs beautifully with so many different ingredients – keep scrolling for some recipe pairing ideas!
I’ll often enjoy roasted asparagus as is – just with a little olive oil and salt; however, this time I felt like experimenting with something new by adding a delicious pecan “parmesan” seasoning for an extra punch of flavour.
This easy roasted asparagus recipe puts a spin on a traditional asparagus with parmesan, giving a “nuttier” and more filling version using pecans and nutritional yeast – perfect for both vegans and dairy-lovers alike!
As a registered dietitian, I’m happy to share that asparagus is filled with nutrition benefits! The pecans, nutritional yeast, and olive oil in the asparagus seasoning also add additional benefits of heart-healthy fats and plenty of B-vitamins.
Looking for more easy side dish ideas? Check out my roundup of 20+ healthy vegetable side dish recipes!
Asparagus Nutrition & Health Benefits
A 100 gram serving of asparagus (about 5 large spears) provides 2 grams of dietary fibre (that’s about 8% of your daily fibre needs), which plays an important role in our digestive and heart health.
Asparagus is also a source of essential micronutrients, including:
- vitamin K
- vitamin A
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
- vitamin B
These micronutrients help your body function optimally in a multitude of ways. Ultimately, the cumulative effect of these different nutrients and antioxidants is the promotion of optimal health.
How To Roast Asparagus
While asparagus can be prepared in so many different ways, I find that roasting veggies in general just brings their flavour to a whole new level. Roasted asparagus is no different.
If you guys aren’t sure how you feel about asparagus – I hope trying this recipe can show you how delicious the vegetable can be! Roasting asparagus is an incredibly easy way to cook it – I promise.
- Start by preheating your oven to 400F.
- Then, prepare a bunch of asparagus by snapping off the woody parts on the bottom with your hands (“trimming” the asparagus), giving them a wash, and patting dry.
- Next, spread the asparagus on a large baking sheet and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top (roughly 2 tablespoons worth), sprinkle some salt, and toss it all together with your hands.
- Pop the asparagus in the oven and let it roast for about 12-15 minutes, depending on how thick your asparagus spears are (shorter roasting time for thinner spears, longer time for thicker ones).
How to tell when asparagus is done? You’ll want the asparagus to be slightly browned and tender, but not overcooked and mushy. Although I will say that I’ve overcooked them in the oven before and they still tasted pretty good 😉
What To Serve Asparagus With?
As a non-starchy vegetable, this roasted asparagus goes great with a side of protein and a starch (e.g. a whole grain or some potatoes). Some ideas that I think would pair perfectly:
- Garlic Shrimp With Smoked Paprika & Honey
- Oven-Baked Salmon With Honey, Lemon & Thyme
- Crispy Turmeric Salmon
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- Crispy Salmon With Coconut Honey & Lime
- Easy Curry Tofu Scramble
- 25-Minute Baked Salmon With Pistachio Pesto
- The Best Canned Salmon Burger
More Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Broccoli Salad With Cranberry, Farro & Feta
- Oven-Roasted Radishes
- Maple-Roasted Carrots With Harissa Yogurt
- Curry-Roasted Cauliflower With Minty Yogurt Sauce
- Balsamic Roasted Broccoli
- Honey-Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Blue Cheese & Hazelnuts
- Balsamic-Roasted Beets With Goat Cheese & Walnuts
Did you give this Roasted Asparagus with Pecan Parmesan Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Roasted Asparagus With Pecan Parmesan Seasoning
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (a couple shakes of the salt shaker)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Snap woody ends of asparagus spears. Wash and pat dry. Spread on a large baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt, until evenly coated.
- On a large cutting board, chop pecans and add to a bowl along with nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt. Mix together well and then sprinkle on top of asparagus.
- Place asparagus in the oven for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness of spears. Asparagus should be tender, but not overly mushy.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!