Plum Salad With Arugula & Blue Cheese
Halfway through August means taking full advantage of the last of summer fruits. One of my favourite ways to enjoy these summer fruits is in salads. Not only are they refreshing and juicy, but the sweetness of fruits pairs so well with savoury salad flavours. One pairing that goes particularly well? Fruit and cheese. It may sound strange if you’re not familiar with it, but this Plum Salad With Arugula & Blue Cheese shows just how well the two ingredients go together!
Plum Salad Recipe Notes
This simple summer salad requires absolutely no “cook time” and is ready in under 15-minutes. All you need to do is slice up a few ripe plums and cucumbers, which get added to a large bowl along with a few handfuls of baby arugula. Crumble some blue cheese overtop, along with a sprinkle of walnuts. Finally, mix the dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon, garlic, and honey) in a small jar and pour it over the salad. Toss the salad with the dressing, and this plum salad is good to go!
If you’re making this in advance, I would recommend keeping the dressing separate and only tossing right before eating. This will prevent the ingredients from getting soggy.
If a dairy-free recipe is required, I would recommend finding a good quality vegan blue cheese substitute. You can find these vegan cheeses in specialty grocery stores, or sometimes at your local Whole Foods. There are even some recipes available online; however, I have not tried any of them myself. While you could make this recipe without the blue cheese, it would definitely be missing a critical punch of flavour!
Plum Nutrition Benefits
I feel like plums are a very underrated stone fruit, and I’m not sure why! They are a source of gut- and heart-healthy fibre, with 1 plum providing 1 gram of dietary fibre. Plums are also rich in micronutrients, such as vitamin C, A, K, potassium copper, and manganese. Additionally, plums are an excellent source of antioxidants called polyphenols, which help to promote health overall.
Want More Fruity Salad Recipes?
You’ll love some of my favourites below:
- Strawberry Tomato & Avocado Salad
- Watermelon Feta & Arugula Salad
- Strawberry Quinoa Tabbouleh with Feta
- Summer Salad With Corn, Strawberries, Tomato, Cucumber, Feta & Basil
If you give this Plum Salad With Arugula & Blue Cheese a try, let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below! Be sure to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more simple, healthy recipe ideas.
Get the Recipe: Plum Salad With Arugula & Blue Cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 ripe plums, sliced (can use any type/colour)
- 1/2 a long English cucumber, sliced
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash plums and cucumber. Slice and remove pit from plums, and cut each plum into ~6 slices. Slice cucumber into half-moons. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add arugula, sliced plums, cucumbers, walnuts, and crumbled blue cheese.
- In a small jar with a lid, add all dressing ingredients. Shake well to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well, adjusting seasonings to taste. Enjoy immediately!
Pin it for later: