Hydrating Cucumber Salad With Avocado, Canned Tuna & Hemp Seeds
For my first post, I thought it would be appropriate to share one of my all-time favorite go-to meals: cucumber salads. I know when many people think of salads the first thing that comes to mind is lettuce, but slicing up a cucumber gives you an opportunity to switch things up to prevent boredom. If you’re trying to eat more salads, but are not a big fan of leafy greens, then I hope you give this a try!
This salad takes just a few minutes to come together, and is easily adaptable to whatever vegetables or leftovers you have on hand, making it a great meal when you’re short on time. To keep this a nutritionally balanced meal, I always add healthy sources of fat, protein, and sometimes whole-grain carbohydrates, depending on what I have in the kitchen. Some ingredient ideas: (I’ve thrown in all of these!)
- Protein: canned tuna, leftover salmon, hard-boiled eggs, hemp seeds, tofu
- Fats: avocado, olive oil, pumpkin seeds
- Carbs: quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat soba noodles, etc.
Get the Recipe: Hydrating Cucumber Salad With Avocado, Canned Tuna & Hemp Seeds
- 1 long English cucumber
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 oz. canned tuna (in water, no oil, no salt added)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp low-sodium Tamari
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Thinly slice cucumber into a large bowl (I used a mandolin slicer which makes this really fast).
- Slice and add avocado, canned tuna, and hemp seeds.
- Drizzle salad with tamari and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy cold!