High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl
This Chimichurri Grain Bowl is made with farro, three roasted vegetables, and a homemade chimichurri sauce, all topped with a fried egg for an added boost of high-quality protein. It’s a healthy vegetarian lunch or weeknight dinner idea that can be made ahead and enjoyed either warm or cold!
This post is sponsored by Get Cracking. As always, all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own. Thank you for continuing to support the brands who help make Walder Wellness possible!
You guys – I am OBSESSED with this delicious chimichurri grain bowl recipe. Not only is it delicious, it’s also easy to make and packed with nutritious, balanced ingredients.
As a dietitian, I always aim to include a source of high-quality protein, healthy fat, and lots of veggies in addition to the fibre-rich whole grains in a grain bowl.
For this recipe, we’re using fried eggs as the protein source, a homemade chimichurri sauce as the fat source, and roasted sweet potatoes, romanesco, and radishes for the veggies.
This combination of protein, fat, and dietary fibre really helps to slow digestion, stabilize blood sugar, and keep us feeling full and satisfied.
Egg Nutrition Benefits
I’m so excited to team up with my friends at Get Cracking to bring you this delicious recipe!
The addition of a fried egg to this grain bowl adds that high-quality protein component to this meal and also provides a boost of micronutrients like:
- vitamin A
- vitamin D
- vitamin E
- vitamin B12.
The runny yolk gets mixed into this grain bowl giving it the most incredible creaminess, while also helping our bodies absorb the fat-soluble vitamins and beneficial phytochemicals found in the colourful veggies of this meal.
As you can see, this grain bowl is seriously perfect for a vegetarian weeknight dinner or a make-ahead lunch idea!
PS. If you want more egg-based meal prep ideas, be sure to check out my post all about How To Meal Prep With Eggs.
How To Make This Grain Bowl
To make this chimichurri grain bowl, you want to start by preheating your oven to 400F.
Once the farro is cooking, chop the vegetables into approximately 1-inch pieces. I’ve used sweet potatoes, romanesco broccoli, and radishes for this recipe, but feel free to switch up the veggies as you’d like!
Toss the veggies in a bit of olive oil and salt, then spread on a baking sheet. Roast the veggies in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and fork-tender.
Pulse the ingredients together until a sauce forms. Do note that the sauce doesn’t have to be entirely smooth – it’s meant to have a bit of texture from the parsley!
When all the ingredients have cooked, plate your grain bowls by topping a serving of the cooked farro with a serving of the roasted veggies.
Then, top each bowl with a scoop of the chimichurri sauce and a freshly fried egg (see directions for how to fry an egg below).
Stir the ingredients together and enjoy!
How To Fry An Egg
Simply heat the frying pan over medium-high heat and add about a teaspoon of cooking oil.
Once the pan is hot, carefully crack the egg onto the pan. Allow the egg to cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until the whites are fully cooked and the yolk is still runny.
To speed up the process, you can cover the pan with a lid. Just be sure to keep an eye on the egg to make sure the yolk doesn’t overcook!
Storage & Reheating Notes
This recipe can be made in advance and is a great meal prep option.
You can either keep the farro, veggies, and chimichurri separate and assemble before serving. OR you can stir everything together before storing and enjoy the dish cold (it tastes great both ways)!
The ingredients will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
TIP: Make the fried egg immediately before serving (it only takes a few minutes), or swap with a hard-boiled egg if you’d like to make the entire recipe in advance and pack it for lunch.
The recipe will reheat well on the stovetop or in the microwave.
To make this recipe gluten-free, simply swap the farro with another type of gluten-free whole grain.
Farro is NOT gluten-free, but you can use grains like quinoa, brown rice, or millet in place of the farro.
More Healthy Bowl Recipes
- Green Goddess Rice Bowl With Shrimp
- Easy Chopped Quinoa Salad With Eggs
- Pesto Quinoa Bowl With Broccoli & Sweet Potato
- Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
- Easy Kimchi Quinoa Bowl
- Vegan Noodle Bowl With Spicy Peanut Sauce
Did you give this High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: High-Protein Chimichurri Grain Bowl
- 1/2 cup dry farro (how to cook farro)
- 1 med-large sweet potato
- Approx. 5 radishes
- 1 head romanesco (or broccoli/cauliflower)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp cooking oil (e.g. olive, avocado)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Cook farro on the stovetop according to package directions.
- Chop sweet potato, romanesco, and radishes into 1-inch pieces. Toss in olive oil and salt, then spread on a large baking sheet. Roast the veggies in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until slightly browned and fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, make the homemade chimichurri sauce by placing fresh parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until a sauce forms. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high. Add cooking oil and crack eggs onto the pan. Allow them to cook for about 3-5 mins, or until the whites are fully cooked and the yolks are still runny.
- When all the ingredients have cooked, plate your grain bowls by topping half of the cooked farro with half of the roasted veggies. Top each bowl with the chimichurri sauce and a fried egg. Stir everything together, and enjoy!