Healthy One-Pan Taco Breakfast Skillet
This Healthy Taco Breakfast Skillet is packed with veggies and protein for an easy, nutritious one-pan meal. It’s made with sweet potatoes, zucchini, corn, eggs, and taco seasoning. Gluten-free, with vegetarian and vegan options available!
Looking for a healthy breakfast idea that packs in tons of flavour and nutrition? You’ve come to the right place! This Taco Breakfast Skillet is made with tons of delicious veggies, protein, and taco flavourings for an easy, healthy one-pan meal.
While you can of course enjoy it for breakfast, I happen to love it for lunch or dinner as well!
Another thing I love about this skillet recipe? You can easily modify it based on what you have on hand (i.e. using different veggies if desired).
The original recipe is vegetarian, but I’ve included a vegan option for you below if needed. Let’s get cooking!
Recipe Ingredients Needed
- olive oil
- sweet potatoes
- corn, canned or fresh
- taco seasoning
- large eggs
- + toppings, as desired
How To Make Taco Breakfast Skillet
To make this taco skillet, start by preparing all the vegetables. Peel and chop sweet potato into roughly 3/4-inch cubes. Chop the zucchini into similar-sized pieces.
Next, heat a skillet over medium and add olive oil. Cook sweet potato chunks for about 7 minutes before adding in zucchini.
Cook for another 5 minutes before adding in canned or fresh corn, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook all ingredients for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Once the veggies have started to soften and brown slightly, make 4 spaces within the veggies using the back of a spatula. Crack one egg into each of the spaces.
Cover the pan and continue to cook until egg whites are done but yolks are still runny, about 7 minutes.
Uncover and remove from heat. Add toppings as desired.
To keep in the taco theme, I recommend trying toppings like:
- sliced avocado
- grated cheese
- cilantro or parsley
How To Store & Reheat
Leftovers of this breakfast skillet recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
NOTE: I would recommend adding toppings like avocado only at time of serving.
This recipe can easily be reheated in the microwave. If reheating on the stovetop, know that the eggs will become scrambled!
Vegan Option & Modifications
For a vegan option of this recipe, simply omit the eggs and switch with another source of plant-based protein. Canned black beans would work well, to stay within the “taco theme!”
You can also modify the vegetables in this recipe with other veggies you may have on hand.
Things like leafy greens, tomatoes, bell peppers, or white potatoes will also work!
Recipe Nutrition Notes
Sweet Potato Nutrition:
- rich in dietary fibre, with one medium-sized sweet potato providing about 15% of your daily needs
- one of the best sources of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in your body
- a source of potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B6, E, and C.
- rich in micronutrients like vitamins A, C, K, B6, folate, manganese, magnesium, potassium, and copper
- a good source of dietary fibre, with one medium-sized zucchini providing about 8% of your daily needs
- a good source of micronutrients like folate, B6, niacin, and potassium
- rich in fibre and antioxidants, like lutein and zeaxanthin
- a standard serving of 2 large eggs provides 13 grams of high-quality protein
- a great source of micronutrients like vitamins A, D, E, B12, folate, iron, and selenium
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Banana Chai Smoothie With Vanilla
- Sweet Potato Hash With Red Pepper & Kale
- Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Spanakopita Frittata With Spinach & Feta
- Healthy Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
Did you give this Healthy Taco Breakfast Skillet a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Healthy One-Pan Taco Breakfast Skillet
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (+ more if needed)
- Approx. 2 cups sweet potato, peeled + chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup corn, canned or fresh
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, guacamole, salsa, cilantro, parsley, grated cheese, etc.
- Heat a skillet over medium and add olive oil.
- Cook sweet potato chunks for about 7 minutes before adding in zucchini. Cook for another 5 minutes before adding in corn, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook all ingredients for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the veggies have started to soften and brown, make 4 spaces within the veggies using the back of a spatula. Crack one egg into each of the spaces.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan, and continue to cook until egg whites are done but yolks are still runny, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and remove from heat. Add toppings as desired and enjoy!