15 Easy, Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes
This collection of 15 dietitian-designed recipes with sweet potatoes will give you plenty of inspiration for how to include the nutritious root vegetable in your cooking. Here you’ll find ideas for breakfasts, salads, main dishes, and sides that feature sweet potatoes as a key ingredient.
In this post, you’ll find 15 healthy sweet potato recipe ideas from the blog along with some sweet potato nutrition facts! Keep scrolling or click on the following sections to go straight to them:
Sweet Potato Nutrition Benefits
Sweet potatoes are a great source of dietary fibre, with one medium-sized sweet potato providing almost 4 grams (15% of your daily needs).
From a micronutrient standpoint, sweet potatoes are an incredible source of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A. One medium sweet potato provides 386% of your daily vitamin A needs! Beta carotene also has antioxidant properties, helping to prevent cellular damage.
Sweet potatoes are also a source of other micronutrients, like:
- vitamin B6
- vitamin E
- vitamin C
Are Sweet Potatoes The Same As Yams?
Yams are almost exclusively grown in Asia or Africa, and often have a black or brown bark-like skin.
What you see in most North American grocery stores are true sweet potatoes – with either orange or white flesh.
To prevent confusion, supermarkets apparently began to refer to the orange sweet potatoes as yams in order to differentiate between the two colours.
Growing up in Vancouver, we always referred to these orange guys as yams. When I lived in the States, we always called them sweet potatoes. Basically, I’m confused, too.
Bottom line – these recipes below are referring to the orange sweet potatoes (whatever you may call them)!
Sweet potatoes for breakfast? You bet! In this section you’ll find everything from sweet potato smoothies to plenty of sweet potato breakfast skillets.
1) Sweet Potato & Apple Smoothie
2) Brussels Sprouts & Sweet Potato Sheet Pan Hash
3) One-Pan Taco Breakfast Skillet
4) Root Vegetable Frittata
5) Sweet Potato & Kale Skillet Hash
In this section you’ll find a handful of delicious main dish recipes that use sweet potatoes!
6) Salmon With Sweet Potato Mash & Miso Coconut Sauce
7) Pesto Quinoa Bowl With Broccoli & Sweet Potato
8) Sweet Potato “Fettuccine” With Shrimp
9) Chimichurri Grain Bowl
Sweet Potato Salads
Roasted sweet potatoes are one of my favourite ingredients to add to hearty fall and winter salads. Below are two great options!
10) Sweet Potato Salad With Smokey Tahini
11) Massaged Kale Salad With Roasted Sweet Potatoes
12) Warm Prune Salad With Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potato Side Dishes
Sweet potatoes make awesome side dishes. Below you’ll find two of my favourite ways to prepare them – roasted and mashed.
13) Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges With Curry Tahini
14) Miso Mashed Sweet Potatoes
15) Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes
More Recipe Roundups To Explore
- 10+ Healthy Kale Recipes
- 15+ Healthy Egg Recipes
- 30+ Healthy Recipes With Chia Seeds
- 10+ Healthy Salmon Recipes
- 30 Healthy Recipes with Oats
- 20+ Healthy Vegetable Side Dishes
And there you have it – 15 Easy, Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes to cook and enjoy. I so hope you found inspiration for some new and creative ways to use sweet potatoes!
If you make any of these recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Easy, Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes: Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt + pepper, to taste
Optional garnish: fresh chopped herbs like green onion or parsley.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash + dry sweet potatoes. Remove any hard ends, and then cut into roughly 3/4-inch thick wedges. Leave the skin on for extra nutrients + fiber!
- Toss sweet potato wedges in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread onto a lined baking sheet, leaving some space between each wedge. Bake in oven for 25-30 mins, until lightly browned and fork tender.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing by whisking together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Feel free to add additional water if you want a runnier dressing.
- Serve the sweet potatoes and drizzle tahini dressing overtop. Feel free to garnish with some freshly chopper herbs + extra black pepper as desired. Enjoy hot!
- pair with some simple seafood, like baked salmon or garlic-sautéed shrimp.
- pair with simple meats or poultry, like grilled chicken
- pair with plant-based protein sources, like baked tofu or tempeh
- add to a salad or grain bowl – make extra curry tahini and use it as a dressing!
- pair with other roasted veggies, like broccoli or cauliflower or some leafy greens, like sautéed spinach or kale