17 Healthy Recipes With Tahini
This collection of dietitian-designed recipes with tahini paste will give you plenty of ideas for ways to use tahini in your cooking. Here you’ll find recipes for sauces, dressings, salads, breakfasts, and even cookies. Many of these recipes are vegan or vegetarian. With this roundup, you’ll never have to ask “what to do with tahini?” again!
In this post you’ll find 17 healthy recipes with tahini from the blog along with some helpful tahini facts. Keep scrolling or click on the following sections to find what you’re looking for:
What Is Tahini?
Tahini is a type of paste popular in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and North African cuisines.
It’s made from toasted and ground hulled sesame seeds, giving it a delicious nutty flavour that’s similar in texture to a creamy nut butter.
Tahini is commonly used as part of a spread or dip, such as hummus, but can be used in a variety of ways!
Tahini Health & Nutrition Benefits
Tahini is a source of:
- heart-healthy unsaturated fats
- plant-based protein, with a 2 tablespoon serving providing roughly 7 grams
- dietary fiber, with a 2 tablespoon serving providing about 3 grams or 12% of your daily needs
- essential minerals like:
TIP: If you follow a plant-based diet, tahini is an excellent ingredient to add to your meals! It’s a source of many of the nutrients that are harder (but not impossible) to find when eating only plants.
What Does Tahini Taste Like?
Tahini tastes like sesame seeds (its primary and/or only ingredient). It has a distinct earthy, nutty flavour that can be slightly bitter on its own.
While similar in texture to creamy nut butters (like almond or peanut), it has less of a natural sweetness to it.
Tahini works great in both savoury and sweet dishes alike!
Tahini Sauces & Dressings
Tahini is one of my go-to ingredients when I want a thick and creamy sauce or dressing. It’s an awesome alternative to dairy- or cream-based sauces, and provides a different flavour profile to similarly-textured sauces made with peanut butter or cashews.
1) Balsamic Tahini Dressing
2) “Cheesy” Miso Tahini Sauce
3) Curry Tahini Dressing
4) Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
Salads With Tahini
As mentioned above, tahini makes an awesome base for a creamy, hearty salad dressing. Because of its unique nutrition profile of healthy fats, protein, and fiber, it really helps to make a salad more filling and satisfying!
5) Broccoli Kale Salad Tahini Dressing
6) Broccoli, Cauliflower & Salmon Salad With Curry Tahini
7) Crispy Tofu Salad With Miso Tahini Dressing
8) Massaged Kale Salad With Maple Tahini Dressing
Breakfasts With Tahini
If you’re someone who loves adding nut butter (like peanut or almond) to your breakfasts, why not trying swapping it for tahini for a different flavour profile and nutrient variety? I love it in smoothies, oatmeals, and homemade granolas!
9) Blueberry Tahini Smoothie
10) Mashed Banana Tahini Oatmeal Porridge
11) Honey Tahini Granola With Chocolate Chips
Side Dishes With Tahini
Looking to jazz up your vegetable side dishes? These recipes show how tahini can be a great pairing with vegetables!
12) Roasted Sweet Potato With Curry Tahini
13) Smashed Brussels Sprouts With Balsamic Tahini
14) Japanese Sweet Potatoes With Miso Maple Tahini
These honey tahini oatmeal cookies are one of the most popular recipes on my blog. I hope you love them as much as I (and other readers) have 🙂
15) Honey Tahini Oatmeal Cookies
16) No-Bake Tahini Energy Balls
17) Creamy Tahini Pasta
And there you have it – 17 Easy, Healthy Recipes With Tahini to cook and enjoy. If you make any of these recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
More Ingredient Roundups To Explore
- 30+ Healthy Recipes With Oats
- 10+ Healthy Recipes With Kale
- 10+ Healthy Recipes With Sweet Potatoes
- 30+ Healthy Recipes With Chia Seeds
- 30+ Healthy Recipes With Avocado
- 15+ Healthy Recipes With Strawberries
Get the Recipe: 17 Healthy Recipes With Tahini, Including Balsamic Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl, until a smooth dressing forms. Feel free to increase amount of water if you desire a runnier dressing. Adjust seasonings to taste, as desired.
- Use it as a creamy salad dressing – it would pair well with any leafy greens (like kale, arugula, spinach, or a spring mix) along with fresh veggies (like tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers)!
- Drizzle it over roasted veggies, like broccoli, mushrooms, or sweet potatoes.
- Use it to add flavour to grain bowls or nourish bowls.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know by leaving a recipe rating below, or by tagging @walderwellness on Instagram. I love seeing your beautiful creations!