20+ Healthy Lunch Ideas To Pack For Work
Looking for some simple, healthy lunch ideas to pack for work? These 20+ lunch recipes are perfectly portable and can be enjoyed cold (no microwave needed)!
Whether you’re spending the day in the office or at school, or simply in need of some make-ahead lunches while you work from home, I’ve rounded up 20+ of my favourite easy, healthy lunch recipes from the blog to help you decide what to make!
As a dietitian, I know how important it is to have something nourishing, tasty, and satisfying to get you though your busy day.
Each of the recipes below meets certain criteria to make them perfect to enjoy for lunch, no matter where you may be!
What Makes A Healthy, Packable Lunch
To make it on this Healthy Lunch Ideas List, the meals had to meet certain requirements for a good packed lunch:
- They can be packed and carried on your commute without getting soggy/making a mess.
- They can be enjoyed cold, so no need to reheat them if you don’t have access to a microwave.
- They can be made in advance, so no scrambling in the morning to get something together. You can make these dishes the night before and keep them in the fridge to grab and go. TIP: try to make some larger batches of these meals, so you can cook once and eat multiple times!
- They are nutritionally balanced, giving you some protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, and lots of veggies. These types of foods and meal combinations will keep you energized and able to focus through your busy workday.
- They are easy to make and not too time-intensive – I know your schedule is a busy one!!
1. Kale Butternut Squash Salad With Farro
2. Winter Pasta Salad
3. Roasted Broccoli Salad
4. 20-Minute Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
5. Healthy Taco Salmon Rice Bowl
6. Strawberry Quinoa Tabbouleh With Feta
7. Shrimp Taco Salad Bowl
8. Cold Chopped Quinoa Salad
9. Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad With Shrimp
10. Cold Soba Noodle Salad With Tempeh
11. No-Mayo Tuna Salad
12. Pesto Quinoa Bowl
13. Crispy Tofu Salad With Tahini Dressing
14. Massaged Kale Salad With Sweet Potato & Goat Cheese
15. Easy Caprese Pasta Salad
16. Broccoli, Cauliflower & Salmon Salad
17. Cucumber Avocado Salad With Quinoa
18. No-Mayo Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
19. Tuna Pasta Salad With Pesto
20. Chimichurri Grain Bowl
21. Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad
And there you have it – 20+ Easy, Healthy Lunch Ideas to pack with you to work (or school)! I hope you guys find some inspiration from this list, and I hope that it saves you some time, energy, and stress when deciding what to make.
If you make any of these recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
More Healthy Recipe Roundups
- 20+ Easy, Healthy Vegetable Side Dishes
- 27 Healthy Meal Prep Snack Recipes
- 25 Dietitian-Approved Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
- 30 Healthy Meal Prep Ideas For Lunch & Dinner
- 25 Meal Prep Component Recipes To Mix & Match
Get the Recipe: 20+ Healthy Lunch Ideas, Including Kale Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 large bunch kale, curly or lacinato (how to massage kale for salad)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 a lemon, juice only
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup farro, dry (how to cook farro)
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled + cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Preheat oven to 400F and bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove kale leaves from stems before washing and drying. Place kale in a large salad/mixing bowl and drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper overtop.
- Using your hands, squeeze and massage the oil-lemon mixture into the kale, similar to how you would knead dough (about 1 minute). Cover the bowl and let sit while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook farro in the pot of boiling water using the "pasta method" or according to package directions. Drain when done.
- Place butternut squash cubes on a baking sheet and toss in remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil, cinnamon, and salt. Transfer to the oven for 30 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Once both farro and squash are cooked, add them to the massaged kale along with goat cheese, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Toss well, adding more salt + pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy!
As a dietitian, I create recipes with whole food ingredients that provide the nutrients needed for optimal health. My nutrition philosophy does not focus on numbers; however, I understand that this information can be helpful.
Do note that the nutrition info provided is an estimate and I cannot guarantee correctness of the displayed values. These numbers will differ depending on brands used, recipe modifications, and amount eaten. If you require specific nutrition information due to medical reasons, please consult with your dietitian or physician.