Nutritious Chocolate Banana Avocado Smoothie
This healthy breakfast smoothie is made with spinach, peanut butter, chia, hemp seeds and almond milk. Dietitian-designed, it’s full of nutritious ingredients for a filling breakfast. Vegan, gluten-free, and can be made-ahead!
If you’ve been following along on Instagram, you know that I’ve been hooked on healthy breakfast smoothie recipes lately. This creamy green smoothie was so popular, that I’ve decided to share another one with you today.
This Healthy Chocolate Banana Avocado Smoothie tastes like a thick, creamy, chocolate shake. I think it would be a hit with kids, teens, and adults alike!
What Makes This Smoothie A Healthy Breakfast Option?
Despite tasting super decadent, you’d be shocked to know that this chocolate smoothie is packed with healthy fats, plant-based protein, fibre-rich carbohydrates, and tons of micronutrients.
This unique combination of nutrients helps to prevent rapid spikes and crashes in blood sugar, providing steady energy and keeping you full for longer.
As a dietitian, I try my best to share recipes that satisfy both your hunger and nutrition needs. Especially when it comes to breakfast, I want to make sure your first meal provides an energizing start to your day!
Plus, I find this recipe is naturally sweet enough with no need for any added sugars (I always make sure to use unsweetened nut milks and nut butters).
Each ingredient provides a host of nutrition benefits, which we get into more detail in below.
Want more smoothie recipe inspiration? Check out my roundup of easy, healthy smoothie recipes for more ideas!
Recipe Ingredients Needed
- almond milk, unsweetened (or other milk of choice)
- bananas, peeled + frozen (if possible)
- avocado, frozen (if possible)
- baby spinach
- raw cacao powder
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- creamy peanut butter or almond butter, unsweetened
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- Optional: unflavoured protein powder or unflavoured collagen powder (if desired)
My Favourite Blender
I use this Vitamix almost every day. I bought it about 7 years ago and it still functions perfectly. It makes a super smooth and creamy smoothie in seconds (not to mention many other meals, like soups)!
How To Store This Smoothie
This chocolate banana avocado smoothie will stay fresh in the fridge for 1-2 days. Simply pour it into a large jar with a lid and pop it in the refrigerator. If there’s any separation, give it a good shake before drinking.
If you’d like to make extra servings of this smoothie to keep for later, you can even freeze it in silicone ice cube trays or muffin tins.
Place them in the freezer, and pop out the “smoothie cubes” to be stored in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw in a glass for a few hours or the night before you want the smoothie.
As you can see, healthy smoothies can be a great addition to your breakfast meal prep routine!
Nutrition Benefits of Ingredients
Raw Cacao Powder Nutrition:
- An excellent source of antioxidants, which help to fight free radical damage in the body.
- A good source of essential minerals, like iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, and zinc!
- A fibre-rich carbohydrate – one medium banana provides 3g of fibre.
- Good source of micronutrients like potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and magnesium.
- Rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids and dietary fibre. Just 1 cup of avocado provides about 40% of your daily fibre needs.
- Good source of micronutrients like vitamin C, B6, K, E, folate, magnesium, and potassium.
- Great source of micronutrients, like vitamin A, C, K, folate, iron, and calcium.
- Packed with phytonutrients (plant compounds) that have antioxidant functions.
Peanut Butter Nutrition:
- Rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fatty acids.
- Source of plant-based protein, with 2 Tbsp providing 8 grams.
- Rich in micronutrients, like vitamin E, B6, niacin, manganese, copper, folate, and magnesium.
Hemp Seeds Nutrition:
- One of the best plant-based sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which play a role in heart health, brain health, and reducing inflammation throughout the body.
- Great source of plant-based protein, with just 3 tablespoons providing 10 grams of complete protein!
- Good source of vitamin E and minerals like zinc, iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
Chia Seeds Nutrition:
- One of the best plant-based sources of omega-3s.
- Two tablespoons of chia seeds gives you 5 grams of plant-protein and 10 grams of dietary fibre (about 40% of your daily needs)!
- Rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, and iron.
If you don’t have some of these ingredients on hand, here are some easy swaps you can make:
- Hemp + chia seeds can be used interchangeably if you only have one of them! Or you could try this with flax seeds.
- Peanut butter can be swapped for almond butter or another nut butter. Try to choose nut butters without any added sugars or refined oils (I like when the only ingredient is the nut itself).
- Almond milk can be swapped for any other milk alternative, just make sure you use a plain, unsweetened version.
- If you’d like to add a plain protein powder, you can do so as well!
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Banana Chai Smoothie With Vanilla
- Papaya Banana Coconut Smoothie
- Simple Cherry Smoothie With Yogurt
- Ginger Pear Green Smoothie
- Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
- Simple Creamy Green Smoothie
Did you give this Healthy Chocolate Banana Avocado Smoothie a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Nutritious Chocolate Banana Avocado Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened (or other milk of choice)
- 2 medium bananas, peeled + frozen (if possible)
- 3/4 cup avocado, frozen (if possible)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 4 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 ice cubes (if needed)
- Optional: 2 scoops unflavoured protein or unflavoured collagen powder (if desired)
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender, making sure to add the almond milk first (this helps with blending).
- Blend on high for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. If the smoothie is too thick, simply add a bit more almond milk until it reaches your desired consistency!
- Enjoy immediately or store for later!