35+ Easy, Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
A roundup of 35+ dietitian-approved easy, healthy breakfast meal prep ideas. These vegetarian recipes are nutritious, tasty, and perfect for making in advance. Meal prepping your breakfast can help save you tons of time during your busy mornings, while energizing you for the day ahead!
Eating a delicious, balanced breakfast can help set you up for a successful day ahead.
Why? A balanced meal – one that contains some fibre-rich carbs, healthy fats, and protein – takes longer to digest and keeps your blood sugar levels steady.
This means sustained energy and fullness to ideally get you to your lunch break. I’m sure many of us can agree that this is how we want to feel in the mornings!
If you find yourself scrambling for time in the morning, rushing out the door without eating, you may find yourself in the following scenarios:
- hitting up your local coffee shop for a bagel everyday (and then you’re hungry an hour later!)
- having a growling stomach distract you from work all morning long
- or, over-eating the rest of the day to make up for a lack of breakfast
This is where having breakfast prepared in advance can create a HUGE shift in your morning productivity. These 30+ dietitian-approved breakfast meal prep ideas are easy to cook, use simple ingredients, and can all be made in advance.
You can store these recipes in the fridge for a few days, or make extra portions to keep for longer in the freezer. Either way, they’ll give you something delicious and healthy to start off your day, while saving you time, money, and stress!
Keep scrolling to explore, or click to get to the following sections:
- warm + baked oatmeal recipes
- cold overnight oatmeal recipes
- chia pudding recipes
- breakfast smoothie recipes
- egg recipes
- baked sweet potato recipes
- breakfast burrito recipes
Warm Oatmeal Recipes
The particularly high soluble fibre content of oats helps to slow digestion, increase fullness/satiety, lower cholesterol, and improve blood sugar control.
The slowed digestion and satiety component is key when it comes to choosing a breakfast that will keep you full all morning!
In addition to fibre, oats are a rich source of essential micronutrients like:
- vitamin E
Oatmeal can easily be cooked ahead in a large batch and then heated up in portions throughout the week.
1) Baked Pear Oatmeal
2) Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
3) Pineapple Baked Oatmeal
4) Blueberry Steel Cut Oatmeal
5) Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
6) Chocolate Orange Oatmeal
7) Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
8) Sautéed Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal
9) Gingerbread Steel Cut Oatmeal
Cold Overnight Oatmeal Recipes
As an alternative to warm oatmeals, you can try “overnight oats” or “bircher muesli,” which involve no cooking time at all!
You simply mix the ingredients, let them sit for a few hours in the fridge, and you’ve got breakfast ready. They’re a great option when the weather warms up!
Overnight oats can be enjoyed cold as a grab-and-go option in the morning, or you could even pop them in the microwave for something warm.
10) Blueberry Lemon Overnight Oats
11) Blood Orange Bircher Muesli
12) Strawberry Vanilla Overnight Steel Cut Oats
13) Grated Apple Bircher Muesli
Healthy Chia Pudding Recipes
Like overnight oats, chia puddings are a super easy, no-cook, grab-and-go breakfast meal prep option.
To make them, you simply mix up the ingredients and pop them in the fridge. A few hours later, this nutritious breakfast option is ready!
Chia seeds are a great source of:
- dietary fibre
- omega-3 fatty acids
- plant-based protein
- minerals like:
Like oats, their fibre and protein content will help keep you full in the morning. Adding toppings like additional nuts, seeds, or nut butters can help make this breakfast even more satisfying.
14) Chocolate Banana Chia Pudding
15) Key Lime Pie Chia Pudding
16) Maple Kefir Chia Pudding
17) Coconut Chia Pudding With Honey & Lime
18) Chocolate & Ginger Chia Pudding
19) Blended Raspberry Chia Pudding
Healthy Breakfast Smoothie Recipes
Are you more of a liquid breakfast type of person? Then perhaps you’ll enjoy these ideas for make-ahead smoothie recipes!
Smoothies will keep fresh in the fridge for 1-2 days, so you can easily make a large batch ahead of time. Just store them in a jar with a lid and give the smoothie a shake before drinking.
If you’d like to freeze batches of smoothies for longer, you can do so in 2 ways:
- Prepare large batches of smoothies and pour into ice molds or muffin tins. When you’re ready to have them, place the smoothie molds into your drinking vessel and let them thaw for at least an hour (or overnight).
- OR, place all the smoothie ingredients into little baggies (in individual serving sizes). When you’re ready for the smoothie, all you need to do transfer the ingredients to your blender along with a liquid of choice. Blend together, and your smoothie is ready in minutes!
20) Banana Chai Smoothie With Vanilla
21) Ginger Pear Green Smoothie
22) Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
23) Simple Creamy Green Smoothie
24) Chocolate Banana Avocado Smoothie
25) Cherry Smoothie With Yogurt
26) Strawberry Pineapple Spinach Smoothie
27) Orange Mango Green Smoothie
Healthy Egg Breakfast Recipes
Prefer savoury over sweet? Then these make-ahead egg breakfast recipes are for you!
I love making both frittatas and egg muffins for meal prep. They’re both awesome ways to get in a ton of veggies in the morning, along with high-quality protein from eggs.
Protein helps to slow digestion and keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer, which is what you want to get you through the mornings!
While you can make frittatas or egg muffins without a true recipe (I often just add any veggies or starches that I feel like), check out some of these delicious idea below.
Make a large batch and portion them out for a few days. Or, you can even pop them in the freezer to keep for longer!
28) Vegetarian Egg Frittata Muffins
29) Root Vegetable Frittata
30) Spanakopita Frittata With Spinach & Feta
Breakfast Baked Sweet Potato Recipes
Another one of my favourite breakfast meal prep options? Baked sweet potatoes (or yams as us Canadians seem to call them)!
You can make a large batch of these in advance and then keep them in the fridge. Take one out in the morning, quickly reheat it in the microwave, and add toppings as desired!
Sweet potatoes are not only delicious, but they’re jam-packed with nutrition too! One medium-sized sweet potato provides 4 grams of dietary fibre (15% of your daily needs).
As I’ve mentioned, fibre helps promote all sorts of things – fullness, regularity, gut health, heart health, and even glycemic control.
One sweet potato also provides 386% of your daily vitamin A needs, along with other micronutrients like:
- vitamin B6
- vitamin E
- vitamin C
31) Breakfast Sweet Potatoes With Almond Butter
32) Stuffed Sweet Potatoes: 5 Ways
Healthy Breakfast Burrito Recipes
Another savoury breakfast idea? Freezer breakfast burritos! The recipes below each contain a good source of protein (eggs, black beans, and tofu), lots of veggies, and a source of energizing carbs.
You can make these breakfast burritos in advance, portion them into single servings, wrap in foil, and place them in the freezer. When you want to eat them, simply remove from freezer and either microwave or bake for a quick and easy breakfast.
33) Veggie Packed Breakfast Burritos
34) Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Egg Burritos
35) Vegan Breakfast Burrito With Tofu
Other Breakfast Ideas
I couldn’t fit these recipes in any of the above categories, but they’re also great options for easy meal prep!
36) Chewy, Vegan Breakfast Cookies
37) Curry Tofu Scramble
38) Honey Tahini Granola
Don’t Have Time To Meal Prep?
It happens! Here are some super quick and easy, balanced breakfast ideas that don’t require a recipe:
- Whole grain toast + nut butter + banana + hemp seeds + cinnamon
- Plain Greek yogurt + fruit + cinnamon + nuts/seeds
- Whole grain toast + smashed avocado + a fried egg
More Meal Prep Recipe Roundups
- 27 Healthy Make-Ahead Snack Recipes
- 30 Healthy Meal Prep Ideas For Lunch & Dinner
- 25 Meal Prep Component Recipes To Mix & Match
- How To Meal Prep With Eggs
I hope this post has given you tons of easy breakfast meal prep ideas! If you include any of these recipes in your weekly meal prep, let me know in the comments below. Be sure to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more nutrition tips and simple, healthy recipe ideas.
Get the Recipe: 35+ Easy, Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas, Including Chewy Breakfast Cookies
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the wet ingredients together until well-combined.
- Then, combine the wet and dry ingredients into one bowl, stirring them until they stick together well.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into your hands and roll into balls. Place them on the baking sheet and press flat (these cookies will not flatten when you cook them). Depending on the size of your cookies, this recipe will make about 10-12.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 12-15 minutes (they should be lightly browned when done). Remove and let them cool at least 15 minutes before eating. Enjoy!