Grilled Kale Salad With Avocado, Lemon & Parm
This grilled kale salad is paired with avocado, lemon, garlic, toasted pecans, and parmesan. Grilling kale makes it SO flavourful and a little crispy – it’s one of my favourite salad recipes to date!
So I know I’ve said in the past that massaged kale salads are the BEST way to enjoy kale. Well, I wasn’t wrong, but I clearly had never tried GRILLING kale before.
Let’s just say…the two cooking methods are now tied for the best way to eat kale haha.
Anyway – if you haven’t tried grilling kale before, you are in for a serious treat! The kale gets so flavourful and a little crispy – it’s like raw kale, sautéed kale, and kale chips all in one.
This kale salad recipe is paired with super simple toppings like grilled avocado and lemon, garlic powder, toasted pecans, and some freshly grated parmesan. It’s just 9 ingredients, but it tastes SO good. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Let’s get cooking.
All you need to make this grilled kale salad are 9 simple, healthy ingredients (many of which you likely have already!):
- curly kale
- olive oil
- garlic powder
How To Grill Kale
Grilling kale is incredibly easy and SO worth the extra little bit of effort! The flavour of it is just incredible.
Start by washing kale leaves and drying them well with a towel. Slice off any large stems that don’t have any leaves on them.
Place kale leaves in a large mixing bowl and gently toss them with olive oil and salt. I just mix things up with my hands. It’s a little messy, but no need to be perfect here!
Next, place the kale leaves in a single layer on your grill (heated to medium). Grill them for 1-2 minutes each side, depending on your grill and the size of the leaves.
You want them to be charred, but not burnt to a crisp. Work in batches if you need to.
Remove kale leaves from the grill and set aside to cool for a few minutes (during this time you can toast the pecans for this recipe).
Once cool enough to touch, tear kale leaves off of stems into smaller pieces. Add the rest of the salad ingredients, toss, and enjoy!
Leftovers of this grilled kale salad will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
The best thing about kale is that it doesn’t go soggy. That said, I doubt leftovers of this salad will last that long 😉
Note – if you’re intentionally planning to eat this salad at a later date, I would advise NOT grilling the avocado with the kale and keeping the toasted pecans separate. Instead, add slices of fresh avocado and toasted pecans right before eating!
What To Serve With Grilled Kale Salad
While you can definitely enjoy this grilled kale salad on it’s own, I would highly recommend pairing it with your favourite protein!
It would taste great with a simple baked salmon or chicken. Or, you can throw a hard-boiled egg or some roasted chickpeas on there too.
Here are some more easy protein ideas to pair it with:
- Garlic Shrimp With Smoked Paprika & Honey
- Honey Lemon Oven-Baked Salmon With Thyme
- Crispy Turmeric Salmon
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- Salmon With Coconut Honey & Lime
- Easy Curry Tofu Scramble
- Honey Mustard Garlic Shrimp
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- The Best Canned Salmon Burger
To make this recipe vegan or dairy-free, simply swap the parmesan for a vegan alternative OR sprinkle some nutritional yeast over top for the same cheesy effect!
For a nut-free version, omit the toasted pecans. You can add some extra crunch with some hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds instead.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Kale
I probably don’t have to tell you that kale is healthy, but let me show you why!
Just one cup of kale provides over 100% of your daily needs for:
- vitamin A (206%)
- vitamin K (684%)
- vitamin C (134%)
Kale is also a good source of other micronutrients like:
- vitamin B6
That same cup provides 2 grams of dietary fibre, helping to keep your gut and heart happy.
In addition to micronutrients, kale is also loaded with antioxidants, which prevent cellular damage and provide a multitude of health benefits. Kale is truly a superfood!
More Delicious Kale Recipes
- Quinoa Stuffed Delicata Squash With Kale
- Kale Butternut Squash Salad With Farro & Goat Cheese
- Vegan Kale & Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad
- Massaged Kale Salad With Sweet Potato, Pomegranate & Goat Cheese
- Sweet Potato Hash With Red Pepper & Kale
- Roasted Butternut Squash With Kale & Spicy Coconut Cream
- Massaged Kale Salad With Maple Tahini Dressing
Did you give this Grilled Kale Salad Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Grilled Kale Salad With Avocado, Lemon & Parmesan
- 2 large bunches kale
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil (+ more for tossing kale)
- 1/2 cup pecans, raw
- 1/2 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Heat grill to medium.
- Wash kale leaves and pat dry with a towel. Slice avocado and lemon in half.
- In a large bowl, toss kale leaves with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil (enough to coat) and salt (as desired).
- Place avocado and lemon face-down on the grill and leave them there while you add the kale. Grill pieces of kale 1-2 minutes each side, keeping an eye on them to avoid burning. You want them slightly soft and browned (a little crisp is totally ok/recommended)! Work in batches as needed.
- Remove kale, avocado, and lemon from grill and set aside on a plate. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat pan on the stove over medium. Toast pecans for about 5 minutes (stirring frequently), or until they are lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once kale is cool to touch, tear leaves off of hard stems. Add smaller pieces of kale leaves to a serving platter or bowl. Slice avocado and add to salad, along with 1/4 cup olive oil, toasted pecans, freshly grated parmesan, garlic powder, and extra salt + pepper (as desired). Squeeze lemon juice over top, toss well, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know by leaving a recipe rating below, or by tagging @walderwellness on Instagram. I love seeing your beautiful creations!
10 Comments on “Grilled Kale Salad With Avocado, Lemon & Parm”
This is soooo delicious, especially as the weather is starting to turn. I added butternut squash and swapped dairy cheese for your vegan pecan Parmesan — so delish!! Thanks for another great one 🙂
LOVE the butternut squash addition – that sounds like the perfect fall meal! And yay for pecan parm being the best replacement ;). So happy you enjoyed this one!!! Thank you for sharing 🙂
Best salad ever! Super easy to make and grilling everything really brings life to the veggies. We used pumpkin seeds instead of pecans, just cause that’s what we had on hand. Can’t wait to make this again!
Hi Joann! I’m SO happy to hear that!!! I so agree with you that grilling just brings veggies to another level haha. Love the pumpkin seed addition too! Thanks so much for sharing your experience 🙂
This salad blew me away!
I loved the taste of the kale being Barbequed and couldnt beleive how simple it was 🙂
As a salad lover I will be definitely adding this salad into my repertoire!
Thank you Carrie for sharing.
Hi Amanda! Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed this one. How good is kale on the BBQ? I’m obsessed too haha 😉
This salad is amazing (husband approved). The kale, lemon, parm combo really goes well together. Will be making this often!
Hi Shima! I’m so happy to hear both you and your husband enjoy this salad!! I haven’t made this since the summer and you’re inspiring me to fire up the grill again haha :). Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
I LOVE this salad. Simple, delicious and nutritious. Thank you so much for this recipe! I have been sharing it with friends and family.
I’m so happy to hear that, Anna!! Thank you so much for leaving a review AND for sharing with your loved ones. It’s so so appreciated! Wishing you a lovely start to the new year 🙂