Easy Grated Apple Bircher Muesli (Vegan Option)
Apple bircher muesli is a traditional Swiss oatmeal (the original overnight oats), and it’s a delicious breakfast. Make ahead for an easy on-the-go option!
Bircher muesli is a traditional Swiss oatmeal (the original overnight oats), and it’s a delicious breakfast that brings me back to my childhood. My dad is from Switzerland, and my parents used to make bircher muesli all the time when I was a kid!
Did you know that a key ingredient in traditional Swiss bircher muesli is grated apples?
Now that apples are in season, it’s the perfect time to experiment with this recipe. I hope you guys enjoy this grated apple bircher muesli as much as I do!
Like other overnight oat recipes, this breakfast involves no real cooking and can (should) be made in advance, which makes a great grab-and-go breakfast for the morning.
Recipe Ingredients Needed
The base of this apple bircher muesli recipe is only 6 simple, healthy ingredients:
- rolled oats
- unsweetened nut milk (almond, macadamia, soy, etc.)
- plain greek yogurt
- raw apple
Of course, oats are never complete without additional toppings. Here are some of my favourites:
- nut butter, like almond, peanut, or cashew (use sunflower seed butter if you don’t tolerate nuts!)
- coconut flakes
- hemp seeds
NOTE: These topping ideas listed above add additional sources of healthy fat and protein to this breakfast. As a dietitian, these are important nutrients to add to your meal to keep you feeling full and energized for longer!
How To Make Bircher Muesli
To make this apple bircher muesli, start by getting your ingredients ready. Slice the apple in half, and grate one half with a cheese grater. Keep the other half of the apple covered – it’ll be used to top the bircher muesli.
Next, mix the grated apple with rolled oats, cinnamon, raisins, yogurt, and milk of your choice.
Stir everything together well, then cover and place in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight. Letting the bircher muesli sit will soften the oats without having to cook them.
Once the muesli has softened and thickened up, add your toppings of choice. I personally used the other half of the apple, peanut butter, walnuts, pepitas, hemp seeds, and coconut flakes.
And that’s it – breakfast is ready!
Vegan Recipe Option
This recipe can easily be made plant-based, dairy-free, and vegan.
All you need to do is simply use your favourite plant-based milk or yogurt instead of their dairy varieties. Just be sure to choose unsweetened and plain flavours to avoid any excess sugar.
For plant-based milks, I personally love making them in my Almond Cow machine to avoid any additives. If you guys are curious, you can check out Almond Cow here or use my discount code (WALDER) for $15 off your order (affiliate link).
If you are choosing plant-based milks/yogurts, do know that the protein content of this breakfast will likely be lower than if using dairy.
If that’s the case, try increasing protein with ingredients like hemp or pumpkin seeds or an extra tablespoon of nut butter.
Not only is protein essential for rebuilding and repairing most cells in your body, but it also helps to keep you full and satisfied (an important breakfast quality IMO).
PS – I have an entire blog post on cow’s milk alternatives where you can learn more about their nutrition profiles if you’re curious!
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Blood Orange Bircher Muesli
- Ginger Cinnamon Baked Pear Oatmeal
- Chocolate Banana Chia Pudding
- Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Maple Kefir Chia Seed Pudding
- Sautéed Apple Oatmeal
Did you give this Grated Apple Bircher Muesli Recipe a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Grated Apple Bircher Muesli
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened nut milk (almond, macadamia, soy, etc.)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium-sized apple
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew)
- 1 tbsp raisins
- Additional toppings (optional): peanut butter, coconut flakes, hemp seeds, pepitas, etc.
- Chop apple in half. Using a cheese grater, grate half the apple and add to glass jar or bowl. Cover and keep the other half of the apple in the fridge to prevent browning; it will be chopped later to add as a topping.
- Add rolled oats, yogurt, milk, raisins, and cinnamon to the grated apple, stirring until mixed well.
- Cover and let ingredients soak in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight. This will soften and thicken the oats.
- Once ready, chop the other half of the apple and add to bircher muesli. Add other toppings as desired, such as nut butter, nuts, seeds, etc. Enjoy!