13 Easy, Healthy Tofu Recipes
This collection of dietitian-created easy, healthy tofu recipes will show you how to make tofu actually taste good! These nutritious tofu dishes use simple, whole food ingredients and are all easy to make. You’ll find plenty of vegan and vegetarian options, including crispy baked tofus, tofu pastas, soups, stews, scrambles, and more.
Have you ever wondered how to make tofu actually taste good? What the healthiest way to cook tofu is? If tofu IS actually healthy at all? You’ve found yourself in the right spot to answer all those questions!
As a registered dietitian, tofu is one of my favourite sources of protein to cook with for so many reasons:
- It’s relatively affordable, coming in at around $2-$5 for your standard 350-gram to 500-gram pack (this will vary by brand and location, of course).
- It’s SUPER versatile – it can be shaped in different ways, enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, AND it has a neutral flavour that pairs with so many seasonings and sauces.
- It has a fairly long shelf-life, compared to other proteins like meat or fish. Most commercially available, refrigerated tofu will last about 2 months after the production date. You can purchase a few on sale and keep them on hand – just be sure to check the “sell by” or “best by” date!
- It’s an excellent option for both meat eaters and plant-based diets alike. For meat eaters, tofu can be a great introduction to plant-forward dishes (meatless Mondays, anyone?)
- It’s packed with nutrition benefits, including protein and minerals like calcium, zinc, and iron.
In this post, I share a handful of unique and creative, but very easy-to-make tofu recipe ideas for you! As mentioned, there is so much versatility with tofu. Most of these make great dinner options, but I’ve included a couple breakfast ideas here, too.
PS. While the recipes included in this roundup use mainly firm/extra firm or silken tofu, I also have a post all about how to eat SMOKED tofu. It’s a recent pantry staple of mine that is so delicious – perfect for people who are new to tofu!
Nutrition Benefits: Is Tofu Healthy?
Tofu is a form of condensed soy milk that is pressed into solid blocks.
It’s a great source of plant-based protein, with a standard 3.5-ounce or 100-gram serving of tofu providing 8 grams of complete protein.
In addition to protein, tofu is a great source of essential micronutrients.
A standard 100-gram or 3.5-ounce serving of firm tofu provides:
- calcium (53% of the DV)
- manganese (51% of the DV)
- copper (42% of the DV)
- selenium (32% of the DV)
- vitamin A (18% of the DV)
- phosphorus (15% of the DV)
- iron (15% of the DV)
- magnesium (14% of the DV)
- zinc (14% of the DV)
While early animal studies created some controversy around soy, the majority of recent human research suggests that soy is actually linked to improved health outcomes, like cholesterol levels, heart health, fertility, and reduced cancer risk.
These health benefits are likely due to the presence of beneficial plant compounds called isoflavones.
If you want to learn more about soy (while busting some myths!), check out my friend and dietitian colleague Desiree Nielsen’s podcast episode: Everything You Need To Know About Soy. She does an excellent deep-dive into the current science!
1) Honey Garlic Tofu With Soy & Sesame
2) Crispy Miso Baked Tofu
3) Zucchini Stir Fry With Tofu
4) Tofu Tomato Pasta With Veggies
5) Curry Tofu Scramble
6) Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini Boats With Tofu
7) Vegan Vegetable Stew With Tofu
8) Vegetarian Lasagna Soup With Crumbled Tofu
9) Vegetarian Tofu Taco Pasta Bake
10) Vegan Tofu Coconut Curry
11) Crispy Tofu Salad With Miso Tahini
12) Vegan Noodle Bowl With Peanut Sauce
13) Silken Tofu Smoothie With Banana
More Easy Recipe Ideas
- 30+ Easy, Healthy Pasta Recipes
- 30+ Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- 30+ Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas
- 25+ Summer Salad Recipes
- 20+ Winter Salad Recipes
And there you have it – 13 Easy, Healthy Tofu Recipe Ideas to cook and enjoy. I so hope you found some inspiration from this list!
If you make any of these recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: 13 Easy, Healthy Tofu Recipes: Crispy Miso Tofu
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut block of tofu into 1-inch cubes. Take a paper towel and press the cubes gently to remove as much water as you can.
- Spread the tofu out onto a baking sheet and transfer to the oven for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through with a set of tongs.
- While the tofu is in the oven, prepare the maple miso sauce. To do this, start by adding mirin to a small saucepan over med-high heat. Bring the mirin to a boil, and allow to boil for about 1 minute.
- Once a smooth sauce has formed, turn off the heat. Remove the tofu from the oven and pour the sauce over the crispy tofu, tossing till each piece of tofu is nicely coated. Serve immediately!
As a dietitian, I create recipes with whole food ingredients that provide the nutrients needed for optimal health. My nutrition philosophy does not focus on numbers; however, I understand that this information can be helpful.
Do note that the nutrition info provided is an estimate and I cannot guarantee correctness of the displayed values. These numbers will differ depending on brands used, recipe modifications, and amount eaten. If you require specific nutrition information due to medical reasons, please consult with your dietitian or physician.