20 Easy, Healthy Pasta Recipes
This collection of 20 dietitian-created easy, healthy pasta recipes will show you that pasta can be a healthy choice! These recipes use simple ingredients that pack in tons of flavour and nutrition benefits. You’ll find nutritious shrimp pastas, other seafood pastas, vegan options, pasta salads, and more!
Have you ever wondered if pasta is healthy? Or maybe you’ve been told that it “isn’t good for you?”
You may be surprised to hear that as a registered dietitian, pasta is one of my favourite foods – I think it’s actually an excellent way to get in a ton of nutrients (and veggies!)
Why? Pasta itself is actually a VERY simple food – basically just made from wheat flour and water.
Pasta also obviously tastes delicious and is a comforting food to many people. If this is what it takes to get in a ton of vegetables and nutrition, I say go for it!
What Makes These Pastas A Healthy Option?
The key to making pasta a healthy choice? It’s what you prepare WITH the noodles!
Pasta is such a great vehicle for pairing with:
- tons of vegetables, which are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber
- quality proteins, like seafood, meat, or plant-based options like tempeh
- healthy fats, like olive oil or sauces made from various nuts and seeds
This unique combinations of fat, protein, fiber, and carbohydrates creates a balanced meal that provides you with energy, while preventing those unwanted spikes and crashes in blood sugar.
TIP: If you’d like to increase the nutrient content of these pastas even more, why not try a pasta made from lentils or chickpeas? These are rich in fiber and plant-based protein! And if you’re gluten-free, there are some awesome gluten-free pastas out there, made from whole grains like brown rice or quinoa.
In this post, I’ve rounded up 20 healthy pasta recipe ideas that include all the nutrition benefits above. Here you’ll find plenty of:
I’d love to know which of these healthy pasta recipes you end up making. Let’s get cooking!
Shrimp Pasta Recipes
In this section you’ll find healthy shrimp pastas and pasta salads! I gave shrimp it’s own category, since it’s one of the most popular pasta protein pairings 🙂
1. Pasta With Veggies, Zoodles & Garlic Shrimp
2. Winter Pasta Salad
3. Basil Walnut Pesto Linguine With Shrimp
4. Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad With Shrimp
Other Seafood Pastas
In this section you’ll find healthy pasta recipes using seafood other than shrimp. We’ve got recipes featuring seared scallops, canned mackerel, and tuna!
5. Seared Scallops & Zucchini Noodle Pasta
6. Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta
7. No-Mayo Tuna Pasta Salad
8. Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad
9. Tuna Pasta Salad With Pesto
Vegan & Vegetarian Pastas
In this section you’ll find vegan and vegetarian pasta options. I’m a huge fan of using cashew cream to make a creamy plant-based pasta sauce, as well as replacing ground meat with protein-packed ground tempeh!
10. Pasta With Cashew Cream Tomato Sauce
11. Tempeh Tomato Sauce Pasta
12. Roasted Red Pepper Cashew Cream Pasta
13. Baked Pesto Pasta
14. Mushroom Cashew Cream Pasta
15. Caprese Pasta Salad
In this section you’ll find two of my favourite stand-alone pasta sauce recipes: one for a delicious creamy, miso-tahini sauce and one for my go-to homemade pesto. Both recipes are 100% plant-based!
16. Miso Tahini Sauce
17. Vegan Hemp Seed Pesto
While not your typical wheat-based pastas, I felt like I should include these “pasta alternatives,” in case you feel like trying something a little different! I never think veggies should replace traditional pasta noodles, but I love having them to switch things up from time to time.
18. Spaghetti Squash With Kale Pesto & Shrimp
19. Sweet Potato “Fettuccine” With Shrimp & Veggies
20. Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Casserole
And there you have it – 20 Easy, Healthy Pasta Recipes to cook and enjoy. I so hope you found some inspiration from this list!
More Recipe Round-Ups To Explore
- 20+ Easy, Healthy Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
- 15+ Easy, Healthy Egg Recipe Ideas
- 30 Healthy Plant-Based Breakfast Ideas
- 18 Healthy Lunch Ideas To Pack For Work
- 30+ Healthy Meal Prep Snack Recipes
- 30 Healthy Meal Prep Ideas For Lunch & Dinner
If you make any of these recipes, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: 20 Easy, Healthy Pasta Recipes, Including Pasta With Veggies, Zoodles, & Garlic Prawns
- Approx. 170 g pasta (enough for 2 people; choose gluten-free alternative if needed)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized (or 2 small)
- Approx. 18 medium-to-large prawns (shrimp)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 a lemon, juice only (optional)
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano or nutritional yeast (dairy-free alternative)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain when done.
- Using a spiralizer, make noodles out of zucchini. If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini "ribbons," or just chop the zucchini into 1-inch pieces (see note).
- Heat a large pan over medium and add 2 Tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, and oregano. Sauté for a minute, then add tomatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Heat another pan over medium-high heat and add remaining Tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, cook prawns for 1-2 minutes on each side. Prawns are cooked once they turn pink and opaque. Remove from heat once done.
- Add zucchini noodles, drained pasta, and fresh basil to the large pan with tomatoes and spinach. Stir together for 2 mins, adjusting spices to taste.
- Serve pasta and top with prawns, lemon juice, freshly grated parmesan reggiano, and an extra drizzle of olive oil as desired. Enjoy immediately!