Easy Hasselback Potatoes With Parmesan, Rosemary & Lemon
These Easy & Cheesy Hasselback Potatoes are baked in the oven with freshly grated parmesan, rosemary, garlic, and lemon. They’re a fun way to elevate a simple, healthy russet potato side dish – your family or guests will love the shape and flavour of these guys!
Hasselback potatoes are such a FUN way to prepare a simple potato side dish. Cutting the potatoes in this way makes the dish look super fancy, but it’s actually really easy to do (keep reading to find out how).
In this recipe, russet potatoes are cut and roasted so that they get nice and crispy. All the extra cuts in them make for EXTRA crispiness!
They’re then paired with simple, healthy, but flavourful ingredients, including freshly grated parmigiano reggiano (a type of parmesan), rosemary, garlic, olive oil, and lemon.
These are sure to be a hit at your next family or holiday gathering! I’d love to know if you make them.
Want more side dish inspiration? Check out my roundup of 20+ easy, healthy vegetable side dish recipes for more ideas!
What Are Hasselback Potatoes?
The term “hasselback” refers to the cut of a roasted potato.
It simply means cutting the potato into thin slices, but not all the way through (you want about 1/4-1/2 an inch of uncut potato at the bottom). This way, the potato stays in tact.
What I love about this cut is how it allows the potato to get extra crispy on the outside. They’re also quite pretty and fun to look at!
Recipe Ingredients Needed
All you need to make this hasselback potato recipe is 8 simple ingredients:
- russet potatoes (or other white potato)
- olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- parmigiano reggiano
- lemon, zest + juice
How To Make Hasselback Potatoes
While they may look complicated, making hasselback potatoes is actually really simple to do.
The trick? You will need to use two wooden spoons or chopsticks and place them on either side of the potato while cutting. This will prevent you from cutting too far (i.e. making the potato fall apart).
Start by preheating your oven to 425F. Wash and dry potatoes well.
Cut potatoes one at a time, placing each potato between the two wooden spoons or chopsticks (see picture).
With a sharp knife, cut slits into the potato, about 1/8-1/4 inches apart.
Once all the potatoes are cut, place into a large baking dish or onto a baking sheet. Coat and brush with olive oil, making sure to get the oil between the slices.
Then, stuff some of the slits with thinly sliced garlic and fresh rosemary.
Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper, and pop the potatoes into the oven for about 60 minutes (this will vary depending on size).
Once done, remove the potatoes from the oven and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Return the potatoes to the oven for about 6 or so minutes, allowing the cheese to get baked and crispy as well.
Finish with fresh lemon zest, an extra sprinkle of rosemary, and a drizzle of olive oil overtop.
The result? Crispy golden potatoes with tons of flavour!
Russet Potato Nutrition Facts
Russet potatoes are a type of white potato that lend themselves well to baked potato recipes. While potatoes undeservingly get a bad rap, they are actually pretty nutritious!
Potatoes are a great source of different micronutrients, including:
- vitamin C
- B-vitamins (folate, niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin)
They’re rich in dietary fibre, too, with one medium sized russet potato providing 3 grams (11% of your daily needs).
Vitamin C is an important antioxidant, helping to prevent cellular damage in the body. B-vitamins are critical for energy production, and fibre helps to lower your risk for heart disease, diabetes, and gut disorders.
See! No reason to hate on these delicious and nutritious potatoes :).
More Easy Potato Recipes
- Carrot, Parsnip & Potato Mash
- Pesto Potato Hash Skillet
- Smashed Potatoes With Parsley Yogurt Sauce
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes With Chili & Paprika
- Roasted Potatoes With Za’atar & Lemon
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes With Hemp Seed Pesto
Did you give these Easy Hasselback Potatoes With Parmesan, Rosemary & Lemon a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Easy Hasselback Potatoes With Parmesan, Rosemary & Lemon
- 8 medium russet potatoes (or other white potato)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (+more to drizzle)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 long sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed from woody stem
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated (+more if desired)
- 1/2 a lemon, zest + juice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Wash and dry potatoes well.
- Take 2 wooden spoons or chopsticks, and place them around potatoes (working 1 potato at a time). Using a sharp knife, slice potato into 1/8-1/4 inch slices, making sure not to cut all the way through. The chopsticks or wooden spoons will help you to do this!
- Once all potatoes are sliced, place them into a large baking dish or on a baking sheet. Brush potatoes with olive oil, making sure to get between the slits. Stuff potato slits with sliced garlic and rosemary. Generously crack salt + pepper over potatoes.
- Place potatoes in the oven for approximately 60 minutes, until crisp and golden. This may vary depending on size of potatoes.
- Remove potatoes from oven, and sprinkle freshly grated parmesan cheese overtop. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 6 or so minutes, until the cheese becomes golden.
- One done, remove potatoes from oven and transfer to a serving platter. Make sure to top with any crispy cheese bits from the baking dish!
- Top potatoes with lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, fresh rosemary, an extra drizzle of oil, and more salt + pepper (if desired). Enjoy immediately!