Easy Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad
This Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad is an excellent source of omega-3s, protein, and tons of veggies. It’s made with heart-healthy canned mackerel, roasted tomatoes and bell peppers, cucumber, arugula, and fresh basil. Super delicious, ready in 30 mins, and great for meal prep or a packed lunch!
I never expected one of the most popular posts on my blog to be this Mediterranean Canned Mackerel Pasta, but somehow it is! I discovered canned mackerel last year and fell in love with both the taste and nutrition profile. Because of how popular that pasta recipe was, I felt inspired to create this pasta salad for another canned mackerel recipe idea.
This pasta salad recipe is perfect for meal prep and as a packed lunch idea. It’s got a great balance of nutrition – quality protein, healthy fats (like omega-3s), dietary fibre, antioxidant-rich veggies, as well as some energizing carbohydrates from the pasta.
This recipe is dairy-free and can be made gluten-free by using certified gluten-free pasta. It’s super easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
How To Make Pasta Salad
To make this canned mackerel pasta salad, start by preheating your oven to 400F. Chop bell peppers into 1-inch pieces and toss those with cherry tomatoes in some olive oil and salt. Spread the veggies on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes. Roasting really brings out the flavour and sweetness of these veggies.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. I used penne for this recipe, but feel free to use any small-shaped pasta (like bowties, cavatappi, rigatoni, etc.)
While everything cooks, chop an English cucumber into 1-inch pieces and roughly chop the fresh basil and parsley. Place canned mackerel in a small bowl and flake with a fork. Set ingredients aside.
Next, make the pasta salad dressing by adding extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper to a small jar. Shake vigorously to combine well.
Once the veggies are roasted, remove them from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine handfuls of baby greens (I like arugula), cooked pasta, roasted tomatoes + peppers, freshly chopped herbs, canned mackerel, and salad dressing. Toss everything to combine well, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Storage + Meal Prep
This canned mackerel pasta salad is great for meal prep! It’ll keep for about 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. This recipe is meant to be eaten cold, so you can easily enjoy it as a packed work or school lunch.
Mackerel Nutrition Facts
Mackerel is an oily fish that is rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fatty acids, such as omega-3s. In fact, mackerel has some of the highest omega-3 content of any fish! Mackerel is also a great source of complete protein and many micronutrients, such as vitamins B12, B6, selenium, iron, and magnesium.
Not only is canned mackerel packed with nutrition, it’s also a flavourful, affordable, and convenient staple to keep in your pantry.
More Healthy Pasta Salad Ideas
- Winter Pasta Salad With Roasted Vegetables
- 20-Minute Healthy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad With Shrimp
- Easy Caprese Pasta Salad
If you gave this Easy Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad a try, let me know by leaving a comment and star rating below! Be sure to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more simple, healthy recipe ideas!
Get the Recipe: Easy Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad
- 2 large red bell peppers
- Approx. 285 grams cherry or grape tomatoes (~10 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (to toss veggies)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups small-shaped pasta (like penne, cavatappi, or bowtie)
- 3/4 large English cucumber
- 240 grams canned mackerel (~8 ounces)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3 large handfuls baby arugula (or other baby green)
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp honey
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- De-seed and chop bell peppers into 1-inch pieces. Toss chopped peppers with cherry tomatoes in olive oil and salt. Spread the veggies on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain when finished.
- While everything cooks, chop cucumber into 1-inch pieces and roughly chop the fresh basil and parsley. Place canned mackerel in a small bowl and flake with a fork. Set ingredients aside.
- Next, make the pasta salad dressing by adding extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, dijon mustard, honey, salt, and pepper to a small jar. Shake vigorously to combine well.
- Once the veggies are roasted, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine handfuls of arugula, cooked pasta, roasted tomatoes + peppers, freshly chopped herbs, canned mackerel, and salad dressing. Toss everything to combine well, adding salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know by leaving a recipe rating below, or by tagging @walderwellness on Instagram. I love seeing your beautiful creations!
Pin it for later:
2 Comments on “Easy Canned Mackerel Pasta Salad”
Just finished the easy canned mackerel pasta salad for a late Saturday night dinner tonight with my loved ones and it was absolutely delicious! The sweet flavors of the cherry tomatoes and red bell pepper were significantly enhanced by the roasting. That in turn made the flavors pop and become WOW! The sweet flavors of the roasted veg plus the fresh, crisp, summery flavors of the herbs, greens, and cucumbers with the strongly and highly flavorful dressing were a match made in Heaven! This is the 3rd mackerel recipe I have tried of yours and you nailed all three! You created recipes with an unpopular fish and made each one sensational! We now have 3 of your mackerel recipes that are not only delicious, but giving us our omega 3’s in its best and purest form! Thank you for creating this great recipe with one of the healthiest fishes in the ocean! We will be enjoying this one very frequently! 🤗
Hi Jordanna! Thank you so much!!! So so happy to hear that all 3 mackerel recipes have been a hit with your family. I guess I should probably make some more now hahah!! Thank you again for taking the time to leave such a kind and thorough review. It’s seriously so appreciated.
Wishing you a wonderful week! 🙂