Healthy Vegan Tofu Coconut Curry
This tofu coconut curry recipe is vegan and packed full of protein, nutritious vegetables, and warm spices. Leftovers taste amazing, making it perfect for meal prep.
Looking for a comforting but healthy dinner idea that’s packed with vegetables, protein, and TONS of flavour? This delicious vegan tofu coconut curry ticks all those boxes!
Tofu provides quality plant-based protein and this curry dish is loaded with so many different kinds of vegetables. Even better? Leftovers of this dish taste fantastic, making this an awesome recipe to include in your lunch or dinner meal prep routine! The leftovers can also easily be made into a stir-fry type of meal.
I hope you enjoy this warming, nourishing meal as much as I do.
Is Curry Healthy?
You bet! This vegan coconut curry is an incredibly nutritious and balanced meal.
As a dietitian, I always strive to share recipes that are packed with nutrition. This tofu curry recipe is no different.
- Tofu is an excellent source of plant-based protein and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc
- Coconut milk is full of satiating fats that also help your body absorb any fat-soluble nutrients in this meal
- Vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and dietary fibre
- Quinoa is a great source of fibre-rich carbohydrates, micronutrients, and protein. That said, you can serve this with another whole grain for similar nutrition benefits!
Aside from the fresh veggies, you may have many of these ingredients on hand already! Here’s what you need to make this vegan curry recipe:
This recipe can easily be modified according to your dietary preferences or ingredients you have on hand:
How To Store & Reheat Curry
Is it weird that I think the leftovers of this coconut curry are almost better than eating it fresh?! It’s as if the flavours have had even more time to set in :).
Because the leftovers taste so good, this recipe is truly perfect for meal prep. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can easily reheat the leftovers in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Reheating on the stovetop makes this like a curry tofu and vegetable stir-fry. You can even throw in some additional veggies if needed to bulk things up or to use up what you have in the fridge. It’s SO good this way!
More Healthy Tofu Recipes
- Easy Curry Tofu Scramble
- Tofu Tomato Pasta With Vegetables
- Tofu Smoothie With Banana & Vanilla
- Crispy Baked Tofu With Maple Miso Sauce
- Honey Garlic Tofu With Soy & Sesame
- Crispy Tofu Salad With Miso-Sesame Tahini Dressing
Did you give this Coconut Curry Tofu With Vegetables a try? Let me know by leaving a comment and recipe rating below!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Pinterest – seeing your creations always makes my day. You can also subscribe to my email list to never miss a new recipe or nutrition education post!
Get the Recipe: Healthy Vegan Tofu Coconut Curry
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small-med zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1.5 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1.5 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: lime, fresh herbs (parsley/cilantro)
- Cut block of tofu into 1/2- or 1-inch cubes and press out the water with paper towel. Place something heavy (like a large plate or cookbook) over the paper towel while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook quinoa or other grain according to package directions. I have a whole post about how to cook quinoa here, if needed!
- Next, heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium. Add minced garlic and cook for a couple minutes until brown and fragrant. You can add chopped onion here too if you'd like (I simply don't tolerate onion well).
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5 mins. Add the chopped zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes next, sautéing for another 5-10 mins, or until veggies are lightly browned. Add baby spinach and continue to sauté until it wilts.
- Next, pour coconut milk into the pan overtop of the cooked veggies. Stir curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and pepper into the coconut milk, bringing everything to a boil.
- Carefully stir in tofu cubes. Reduce heat and allow the coconut curry to simmer (uncovered) for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the milk to reduce and thicken. If necessary, adjust seasonings to desired taste.*Note: if you'd like to have crispier tofu, you can fry tofu in a separate pan with a bit of cornstarch, until crispy on all sides. Then serve the curry overtop of the tofu and quinoa!
- Serve quinoa into bowls and top with coconut curry. Garnish with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lime (if desired). Enjoy hot!
- Feel free to swap any of the veggies with a different kind
- Tofu can be swapped with animal proteins like shrimp or chicken.
- Instead of serving over quinoa, you can serve this over another grain like rice