Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas & Pomegranates
While I love bananas as is, sautéing or caramelizing them takes them to a whole new level. It’s SO easy to do and all it takes is a little bit of coconut oil! This cozy caramelized banana oatmeal bowl is just perfect for cold weekend mornings – I promise you won’t regret making it this fall or winter.
While I use steel cut oats in this recipe, feel free to use rolled oats if you want a shorter cooking time. Another option is to make a large batch of steel cut oats, so that you have extra servings ready to go throughout the week. Both steel cut and rolled oats are nutritious, fibre-rich whole grains; sometimes I just like switching it up (steel cut has a bit of a chewier and denser texture)!
Get the Recipe: Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats with Caramelized Bananas & Pomegranates
- 1 cup water or milk of choice (may have to adjust amount to desired texture)
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats (dry)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 small/medium-sized banana, sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil or coconut oil spray
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (unsweetened/unsalted)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- Pepitas, cacao nibs, and hemp seeds to garnish
- Heat water or milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the steel cut oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed. Adjust liquids as necessary if you prefer a drier or more liquidy oatmeal texture.
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil or coconut oil spray over medium heat. Add sliced bananas to the pan and cook until caramelized, flipping occasionally, about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the oat mixture into a bowl and top with the caramelized bananas, yogurt, peanut butter, pomegranate seeds, and other toppings as desired. Mix ingredients together and enjoy hot!